Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Spinach Salad with Blueberries, Blue Cheese and Toasted Walnuts


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I have several salad recipes that I want to share with you before summer is over. Last weekend, the first of the early apples appeared in our farmers' markets, and that's a sure sign that fall is on its way. It also means I'd better post the recipes I've been holding if they are to be of any use to you. I don't feature a lot of salad recipes because there is a sameness to them that I find repetitive. Don't get me wrong, I love salad, but I'm not always sure my creations are worthy of your time. Today's feature is an exception because it uses a wonderful berry and vinegar dressing that sets it apart from other berry fortified salads. I really think you'll enjoy this one. Using bagged spinach, the recipe, which comes from from Family Circle magazine, is a study in simplicity and it takes about 10 minutes to assemble. I do have one suggestion to pass onto you. The color of this salad dressing is one only a mother could love, so rather than dress the salad prior to serving, I let everyone do their own thing at the table. I hope you will try this salad while blueberries are still available in your markets. I know you will like it. Here is the recipe.

Spinach Salad with Blueberries, Blue Cheese and Toasted Walnuts...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Family Circle Magazine

Ingredients:

Salad Dressing
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon blueberry preserves
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons snipped chives
Salad
5 ounces (about 10 cups) baby spinach
12 ounces (about 2 cups) blueberries
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese

Directions:
1)  In a small bowl, stir together vinegar, blueberry preserves, mustard, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil until well combined. Mix in chives. Set aside.
2)  Toss together spinach, blueberries, walnuts and blue cheese. Mix in dressing, or serve it on the side. Yield: 6 servings.

If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      







One Year Ago Today: Individual No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecakes














Two Years Ago Today: Rolls and Shrewsbury Cakes













Three Years Ago Today: Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
















Four Years Ago Today: Onion-Parmesan Focaccia with Tomatoes

13 comments :

Cindy said...

Mary--what a wonderful combination of flavors. The perfect August Summer Night Salad. It's pinned for use in the very near future.

Ginny Hartzler said...

So beautiful!!! And I have to also say that I LOVE this plate!

Lynn said...

A very pretty and tasty salad I'm sure Mary! I see focaccia from 3 years ago, that's been popping up often in Blogland recently, gonna have to make some:@)

We Are Not Martha said...

I always love a good spinach salad... especially with blue cheese involved :)

Sues

From the Kitchen said...

Blueberries are on the wane around here. I just heard "maybe one more picking" being bandied about the farmers' market on Saturday. This sounds like a delicious way to bid the blueberry adieu until next summer.

Best,
Bonnie

Tanna said...

Oh, the delights of blue cheese, fresh berries, a good mix of greens and a light vinaigrette!! heaven. blessings ~ tanna

Unknown said...

I'm loving the dressing... balsamic and blueberry preserves = YUM!! The salad looks absolutely gorgeous, Mary!

Kim said...

I'm sure blueberries, blue cheese and walnuts goes so well together! Sure it's a hit this salad. And it looks lovely too!

Susan Lindquist said...

So pretty,so tasty, and so good for you! What a great post, Mary!

kitchen flavours said...

Such a lovely, fresh looking salad! And looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Joanne said...

Salads with fruit in them make me super happy! this looks wonderful!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Such a delicious salad full of lovely ingredients :D

Glad to be back!
Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Jeff @ Cheeseburger said...

This salad recipe looks lovely and delicious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly