Thursday, September 12, 2013

Clam Stuffing for Shells or Fish


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Nearly everyone who visits Cape Cod has enjoyed the large stuffed clams called quahogs. My family is no exception, so I've tried to recreate them in my own kitchen. Unfortunately, quahogs are not abundant here, so while I've been able to come up with a recipe for stuffing them, I've had to work around the lack of large shells in which to serve them. The quahog is the largest of the hard-shelled clam. Little neck , cherry stone, and top neck clams are simply smaller versions of the quahog. The relationship is similar to that of the cremini and portobello mushroom. I first used the stuffing I'm featuring today to fill a large bass and I have since gone on to serve it in scallop shells alongside grilled or baked fish. I can buy fresh chopped clams and broth at the fishmarket and that convenience makes short work of this recipe. If you have access to quahogs, 8 pounds of them will yield enough meat and broth for the stuffing, though it will add an extra step to the recipe. The stuffing can be made several hours before needed and simply reheated for serving. If you enjoy clams, I think you'll enjoy this recipe. Here is how the stuffing is made.


Clam Stuffing...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite 

Ingredients:
1-1/2 pounds chopped clams
3 cups clam broth
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced onion
4 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 pound linguica, diced
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 bag (14-oz.) preseasoned herb stuffing mix
Lemon wedges

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 375Degrees F. If using, lightly spray shell halves with nonstick spray.
2) Saute onions, garlic, linguica and pepper in a large saucepan set over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onions become translucent. Add stuffing mix and stir to combine. Stir in 2 cups of clam broth and chopped clams. If stuffing seems too dry, add additional clam broth.
3) Spoon stuffing into clam shells and bake on a cookie sheet for 10 to 12 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned. Serve with lemon wedges. Yield: About 24 stuffed clams.

If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      







One Year Ago Today: Breakfast Skillet















Two Years Ago Today: Mexican Bizcochitos - Anise Butter Cookies















Three Years Ago Today: Spaghetti Frittata















Four Years Ago Today: Smoked Salmon Frittata

6 comments :

Unknown said...

My mom used to make stuffed clams when I was growing up. I don't think I've had them since that time. These bring back great memories and I can't wait to try making them myself!!!

Unknown said...

I could eat this for the whole meal. I love the way you served this on the clam shell dishes. It's so pretty even if you don't have fish to serve alongside.

Gloria Baker said...

Look absolutely delicious Mary !!
xo

Ginny Hartzler said...

I adore these cute plates!!! And now I am on to the spahhetti dish below!

JG said...

Looks so yummy, Mary! Clams & the Cape go hand in hand. :)
~Judy

Big Dude said...

We moved to South Jersey when I was 16 and I soon became a clam fan - this sounds like a super good use for them and I like the idea of using it as a stuffing for other dishes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly