Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Dutch Apple Cake - It's Child's Play


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...There are a boatload of recipes for Dutch Apple Cake. Most of them are very good, and while the version I'm sharing with you tonight may not be best of class, it certainly is more fun to make than most. This recipe is really meant for moms and grandmothers who have 4 to 6 year old sous-chefs in their kitchens. The children can take responsibility for the vertical placement of apples into the batter. The apples are pushed into the batter one slice at a time, and while you and I might find the task wearisome, the kids love to do it. The cake goes into the oven looking like a porcupine and its appearance doesn't change much as it bakes. Despite its appearance, the cake is really tasty and I think you will enjoy it. My only caution regarding this cake is one you've never heard before. If you have a young assistant, the apples must be cut thin, but still be substantial enough for the children to poke into the batter without bending. If you make the cake you'll see exactly what I mean. I love to serve this cake while it is still warm. The cake keeps reasonably well, but the quantity of apples used in it cause it to become damp and pudding-like if it sits too long. I hope you will give this cake a try. It really is tasty and your assistants will love it. Here is how it is made.

Dutch Apple Cake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Sam's Clubyoung

Ingredients:
3 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices (3 cups)
3 tablespoons + 1 cup sugar, divided use
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup butter, softened
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1) Combine apples, 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Let mixture stand for 1 hour.
2) When ready to proceed, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Generously grease/butter a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. (I line bottom of pan with parchment paper and then butter the parchment paper as well)
3) Cream butter and remaining sugar in another bowl until mixture is light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Combine flour and salt and gradually add to creamed mixture and beat until smooth.
4) Transfer batter to prepared pan. Push apple slices vertically into batter, placing them close together. Bake for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      







One Year Ago Today: Crackly Sugar Cookies
















Two Years Ago Today: Cranberry Almond Muffins















Three Years Ago Today: Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo















Four Years Ago Today: Boeuf Bourguignon

25 comments :

Pondside said...

I know two little boys that love to bake with their Nana - and this sounds like a fun recipe!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I don't have junior assistants in the kitchen, but this still sounds fun!

Ginny Hartzler said...

This one is lovely!

Ellen Whyte said...

Oh how weird! We call this Swedish and Norwegian apple cake in Holland! A Dutch apple pie, or just an apple pie, is made with pastry. If you like, I can give you our family recipe.

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Hi Mary,

It's nice to involve the children in cooking!

Duncan In Kuantan

Rhodesia said...

I am going to try this with quinces, it sounds delicious. Thanks. have a good week. Diane

Kim said...

I cooked with children last weekend and it was so much fun, we made fresh pastas!!!! This cake looks good and fun to bake!

Unknown said...

This definitely sounds like something kids would enjoy! What kid doesn't like playing with their food?

Shashi at SavorySpin said...

This cake looks lovely!
Throw some vanilla ice cream on it and heaven :)

David said...

Mary, Another beautiful cake. Sounds like fun with Nana too! Our oldest grandson likes to cook a little...maybe he would pitch in if we baked a cake! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I like this version of an apple cake Mary with its "porcupine quills".

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous looking cake - it would grace any Fall table.
Mary x

A Paixão da Isa said...

adoro bolos com maças e este esta super bom humm bjs bs

decocinasytacones said...

What an amazing cake!..I´m sorry to be so late with my comments, but I´m refurbishing my house and this is the only time I´m allowed to be in a quiet room with men around....but I have to keep quiet because I´m the one who wants to redecorate my rooms.....I´ll catch up soon.
Love
Marialuisa

Beastie said...

making/baking it right now :)

hobby baker Kelly said...

Looks divine! Thanks for the tip with kids. ♥

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Next time we have Devin and Cole over ... they will love making this cake with me. Thanks, Mary.

Fondly,
Glenda

Unknown said...

You're killing me with these wonderful apple desserts Mary, wish I could be a little mouse in your house!

Joanne said...

The apples sticking up out of the cake are kind of cute!

Manju @ Manjus Eating Delights said...

I was looking around for different yet simple apple recipes...this cake looks perfect. Will try it this weekend...thanks for sharing!

Diane said...

I played a little with the quinces, poaching them lightly to start with. Half went in, in pieces at the end. The smaller bits I beat into the batter and I also added some baking powder. The end result was amazing. Thank you. Diane

Unknown said...

my apple cake is in the oven, but as I was putting it together noticed that there is no leavening in it. does it get its rise from all of the eggs beaten in? just wondering. it is smelling delicious!

Tim

Mary Bergfeld said...

Tomothy, the eggs provide all the leavening that's needed in this cake. I hope you enjoy it. Have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

Vicki Bensinger said...

How did I miss this one? I love apple bread/apple cake - you add apples and I love it. This looks fantastic. I'm saving this recipe!

Julia said...

I have baked this cake many times, got it from my mother-in-law. Even shared it with some asking for recipe. Now I add a few cut up apple pieces to the batter. Get more apple in that perfect bite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly