Sunday, November 10, 2013

Butterscotch Cheesecake


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I've been searching for a new dessert to serve for the holidays and I finally found one that makes my socks go up and down. I can't wait to share it with my family and friends and I think that those of you love the flavor of butterscotch and the creamy texture of cheesecake are in for a real treat. This cake is really special. While it is very rich, when served in small portions it's a wonderful way to end a special meal. The recipe is straightforward, and, like all cheesecakes, this one is very easy to make. The only caution I have to share with you regards its propensity to stick to the pan. The springform pan you use must be well-greased and the cake itself should be released from the sides of the pan with a knife about ten minutes after it is taken from the oven. The trick here is releasing the sides of the cake without removing the springform ring. The soft cake needs a thorough chilling to firm, so I leave it in the pan to assure it keeps its shape and is not unduly nicked or gouged while in the refrigerator. This cake freezes well and can be made a week or so before it is to be served. That's always good news for the holiday hostess. For best results, the frozen cake should be allowed to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. I really hope you'll give this recipe a try. I'd love to have your feedback on this one. Here is how the cake is made.


Butterscotch Cheesecake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home magazine

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup cold 2% milk
1 package (3.4 ounces) instant butterscotch pudding mix
3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs, lightly beaten
Optional garnish: whipped cream and crushed butterscotch candies

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place a well-greased greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18-in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan.
2)  In a small bowl, combine cracker crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto bottom of prepared pan. Place pan on a baking  sheet  and bake for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
3) In a small bowl, whisk both milks and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
4) Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in pudding and vanilla. Add eggs and beat on low speed just until combined. Pour over crust. Place springform pan in a large roasting pan. Add 1-inch  of hot water to larger pan.
5) Bake  for 65-75 minutes or until center is almost set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Remove ring and refrigerate overnight. Garnish with whipped cream and
butterscotch candies if desired. Yield: 12 servings.

Follow Me on Pinterest      

                                                    Older Posts



                  One Year Ago Today:                                                 Two Years Ago Today:
                Peruivian Causa Rellena                                               Oven Roasted Cauliflower
                  

               Three Years Ago Today:                                                     Four Years Ago Today: 
                Manhattan Clam Chowder                                    Polpettone - Tuscan Stove-Top Meatloaf

13 comments :

Coleens Recipes said...

Picky picky husband loves all things butterscotch, so I WILL be trying this one, thank you for sharing.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Since childhood if ever I go to a local ice cream place I have a butterscotch sundae. It is a perennial favourite.

Kim said...

This is the perfect cake for a holiday meal:)

Angie's Recipes said...

Not sure I can find butterscotch pudding mix here...I guess caramel will work too? The cheesecake looks perfect, Mary.

David said...

Mary, I'm not really a cheesecake lover...but the addition of butterscotch makes it pretty tempting! My wife would love this version... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Anonymous said...

very very decadent!

Susan..... said...

I made a butterscotch cheesecake about 2 years ago, pretty much with the same ratio of ingredient and I just refrigerated it for 12 hours and it shrunk in the pan and released itself but it helps if you go up the sides about 1/2-inch with the crust. Sit it on a can, pop the spring. It should just fall down, and leave the cake suspended. I do run a sharp paring knife around the very top of the edge, no further than 1/2" so it starts the release and helps to keep it from cracking.
This is a cake no one expects and the taste is wonderful.
Have a great holiday with your family, Mary!

Diane said...

Mmmmm what a great combination, will certainly be trying this one out. Hope all is well Diane

Golden Sun Restaurant said...

Looks absolutely scrumptious! Thanks for the recipe! This reminds me of the time I used to experiment in the kitchen all the time before I got too busy managing a Chinese Restaurant in Capalaba area. You just inspired me try this one during the weekends!

Cindy said...

I do need a new cheesecake recipe. Others like pie--and I won't say I don't eat pie but cheesecake wins my heart!

Rambling Tart said...

Oh my, Mary. :-) I love the sounds of this! I've never had butterscotch cheesecake before but your description of it has me craving it. :-)

Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) said...

Hi Mary, I'm sure glad your search led you to this recipe. It sounds wonderful. Pinned so I can make it after Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing

Carol at Wild Goose Tea said...

About every two months I go into to Seattle to see a play. The Cheesecake Factory is in the vicinity. This looks as different and creamy as one of their concoctions. It would be an intriguing to finish to a wonderful dinner for guests.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly