Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Remains of the Day - Cranberry Kolaches


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...If you have some time and your holiday leftovers include a cup or so of cranberry sauce, you might want to give this recipe for cranberry kolaches a try. It comes from Taste of Home magazine and the rolls are quite easy to make. While the recipe below is fine, I do have one suggestion for those of you who plan to try them. Finely chop or dice, rather than grate, the apples. The grated apples have a porcupine like mien that I think spoils the appearance of the kolaches. While I often dispense with a glaze on this type of roll, the cranberry sauce is tart enough to warrant its use here. The rolls can be table ready in a bit less than two hours and I think you will enjoy them. Here is how they are made.

Cranberry Kolaches...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home magazine

Ingredients:
Buns
4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 large egg
Filling
1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
1 cup grated peeled tart apple
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Glaze
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon orange extract
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Directions:

1) In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
2) In a saucepan, heat milk, water and butter to 120 - 130 degrees F. Add to dry ingredients beating just until moistened. Add egg and beat until smooth.
3) Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Do not knead. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Roll to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
4) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
5) Using back of a spoon, make a 1-1/2-inch wide well in center of each roll.
6) Combine cranberry sauce, grated apple and cinnamon and spoon into each well.
7) Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
8) Combine confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle over rolls. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 18 buns.

Follow Me on Pinterest      

                                                    Older Posts


                  One Year Ago Today:                                                           Two Years Ago Today:
                      Sweet Potato Pie                                                               Cider Brined Pork Loin                  



               Three Years Ago Today:                                                                 Four Years Ago Today: 
             Nankhatai - Diwali Cookies                                                      Portuguese-Style Turkey Soup


7 comments :

From the Kitchen said...

I'm handing this recipe off to the (Polish) Baker. He swears that no one can make proper kolaches this side of Warsaw. I'll let you know!!

Best,
Bonnie

Regina said...

Beautiful!

Regards.

Regina

Sandi said...

My Czech grampa might argue that lol. My grama learned to make them from his mom. After Grama passed many years ago, my mom really missed her kolaches. I'm a 'cooker, not a baker' as my husband puts it, but on what turned out to be Mom's last Christmas, I decided to try my hand at kolaches. I asked around (gotta love the internet) and got a recipe from an acquaintance of Czech heritage. I decided to use apricot filling because Mom loved 'cots. If you try this at home, use jam, lol. In my attempt to be 'authentic' (G&G had their own tree), I decided to start with dried apricots. Oh my. Unlike apples, dried apricots take forever to reconstitute. They turned out well, when they finally got done. Perhaps this year, I will make some to put in my 91 yr old grandfather's Christmas package. But I'll use jam! Thanks for the recipe.

Joy said...

Mary, these are delightful! I love the idea of cranberry kolaches. Here is Texas, we have a wonderful little Czech community, West, and any time I drive through, I stop for their beautiful kolaches. I have always *meant* to make my own....you may have inspired me to begin!

Saw these on Google+~

Love, Joy @ Yesterfood

David said...

Mary, These kolaches look great! We haven't had any of these since we moved from Chicago back in the summer of 2009. Ahhh...memories! On the other hand, winter is no big deal in East Tennessee so its a good trade off! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Fun use of Thanksgiving leftovers. I have to admit, Mary, that Thanksgiving has rather snuck up on me this year.


Fondly,
Glenda

Unknown said...

Those look gorgeous.. I would make extra cranberry sauce just to ensure I had some leftover for these!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly