Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Table for Two - Homemade Hash Browns


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...It has been a while since I posted a Table for Two recipe, but I was thrilled when several of you asked that they keep coming and be set apart from other recipes on the blog, perhaps even giving them  a category all their own. Come September, if the good Lord is willin' and the creek don't rise, they will be given their own page where they can be accessed quickly and in a much easier fashion than is now the case. Tonight's recipe is simple in the extreme, but I promise you'll find this version of hash brown potatoes to be delicious, as well as being scaled to feed just two people. The recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens, so you can rest assured it has been tested and the results will be spot on. I do have a couple of tips to share with you though. When I fry these I use a combination of oil and butter. The butter adds flavor, while the oil helps keep the butter from burning when the potatoes are cooked at a higher temperature. The next tip is an admission of sorts. I am not a ballerina in the kitchen, so I have to be extremely careful when it comes to flipping or turning anything. My simultaneous handling of two spatulas is better suited to a comedy routine than a cooking blog. Over the years, I've developed coping mechanisms that make me appear less clumsy than I actually am. In this case, I turn the half done potato cake onto a flat plate and slip the uncooked side of back into the pan to finish the cooking. I actually use the bottom of a cheesecake pan, which is perfectly flat,  to make the transfer. If you decide to follow suit, be forewarned that it will get hot very quickly and you will curse my name if you are not using pot holders of some type. Remember, I warned you. The Silver Fox and I have passed the age where hash browns can be part of every breakfast we eat, but when I make them, we usually use them as a base for eggs. His are basted and not quite set, while I prefer mine to be poached. The goal here is an egg that will run over the potatoes when poked, adding its eggy richness to the mix. We both like these potatoes and they are a regular feature of holiday breakfasts and those occasions when we have breakfast for dinner. I hope you will try this recipe. I know you'll be pleased with the results. Here is how these homemade hash browns are made.




Homemade Hash Browns for Two...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens

Ingredients:
2 cups peeled and coarsely shredded russet potatoes (about 3 potatoes)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 small jalapeno pepper, banana pepper, or Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons butter, cooking oil, or margarine

Directions:
1) Rinse shredded potatoes in a colander until water runs clear. Drain well and pat dry. In a medium bowl combine shredded potatoes, onion, jalapeno pepper (if using), salt, and black pepper.
2) In an 8-inch nonstick skillet, heat butter over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until hot. Carefully add potatoes, pressing into an even pancake-like round (about 7 to 8 inches in diameter). Using a spatula, press mixture firmly. Cover and cook over medium heat for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Check occasionally and reduce heat, if necessary, to prevent overbrowning. Turn using two spatulas or a spatula and fork. (If you're not sure you can turn in a single flip, cut into quarters and turn by sections.) Cook, uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes more or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from skillet and cut into wedges. Makes 2 or 3 servings.



Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts


                   One Year Ago Today:                                                     Two Years Ago Today:
                     Berry Pudding Cake                                                        Peaches and Cream Pie


              Three Years Ago Today:                                                      Four Years Ago Today: 
          Golden Cream and Apple Tart                                                        Bistro Potato Salad

5 comments :

Kim said...

It looks perfect, crispy on the outside, tender on the inside!

Beverly said...

Mary, these look and sound delicious. My husband and I have the exact same egg preference as the two of you.

Big Dude said...

I absolutely love hash browns and could easily eat them every morning. I've never tried keeping them formed like this but it does make for a nice presentation. "The goal here is an egg that will run over the potatoes when poked, adding its eggy richness to the mix." - definitely my goal as well.

David said...

Mary, Great looking hashbrowns! My wife and I prefer our eggs over easy... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Melinda said...

Those look yummy!

M :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly