Saturday, November 1, 2014

Mulligatawny - Away A While Recipe Favorites



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Mulligatawny is an English version of an Indian soup that is usually made with curry and a small amount of chicken. The name literally means "pepper water". Although Bob and I had many soups while we were in India, we were never served this one, and, to my great embarrassment, I had never made it. Several weeks ago, I was introduced to the cooking of Madhur Jaffrey and her recipe for the soup caught my attention. I promised myself to try it once the activity in my kitchen moved from mazurka to waltz time and that opportunity presented itself last night. I was so excited about the results that I almost bumped my scheduled post. I stopped only because I wanted to see how this soup aged. I had it again for lunch today and I'm really happy to report my socks are still going up and down. This recipe is a treasure, especially for those who like food with a little bite. The predominant flavors here are garlic and ginger but they are perfectly balanced and neither will overwhelm the palate. I know the recipe looks involved but better than half the ingredients are spices and the soup is really easy to make. I have made very few changes to the original version. I did find the soup to be very thin, so I doubled the amount of potatoes used to thicken it and I used chicken thighs rather than the breast called for in the original recipe. I served the soup with rice for those who wanted something a bit more substantial. I really hope you will try this. I found it to be extraordinary and it will appear often on my table. The recipe can be found here.

Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts


                   One Year Ago Today:                                                             Two Years Ago Today:
              Finnish Macaroni Casserole                                        Andean Day of the Dead Bread Babies


                Three Years Ago Today:                                                         Four Years Ago Today: 
            Menemen - Breakfast in Istanbul                                           Chocolate Zucchini Bread

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly