Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Norwegian Apple Cake


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This simple Norwegian cake is all about apples. It is a "remembered" cake from the files of Hege whose blog Repolished contains a number of Norwegian recipes that she enjoyed as a child.  I decided to add her recipe to my already large collection of apple desserts because of its peasant quality. I happen to love apple desserts. Apples are always available and they keep well. Quantity purchases are inexpensive and it is hard to find desserts that cost less than those made with apples.  I use Golden Delicious apples in almost all my apple desserts. They are sweet without being cloying and they manage to keep their shape as they cook. This is a homely dessert that I'm sure can be found in any Norwegian kitchen.  If I had done an exhaustive search, I suspect I would have found dozens more recipes for this cake, but I stopped because this one seemed very authentic and the directions were a bit old-fashioned. I liked this cake and will make it again. I think salt and a small amount of vanilla should be added to the ingredient list. I added them to the recipe below. My additions are in red. Here is the recipe.



Norwegian Apple Cake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Repolished.com

Ingredients:
4.5 oz of granulated sugar (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons)
4.5 oz of all purpose flour (1 cup)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided use
1/2 teaspoon salt
4.5 oz of cubed butter (1 stick + 1 tablespoon), room temperature
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 apples peeled and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan. Line bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour pan again.
2) Stir together granulated sugar, flour, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in butter. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
3) Scrape batter into prepared pan. Push 1 layer of apples into batter in a circular pattern. Top with another circular layer of apples. Combine remaining teaspoon sugar and cinnamon and mix well. Sprinkle over top of cake.
4) Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove to cool on a wire rack for about 15 minutes. Remove ring and serve warm with ice cream or at room temperature. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Follow Me on Pinterest                    


                                                    Older Posts


                One Year Ago Today:                                                     Two Years Ago Today:
                       S'More Bars                                                                  Mocha Macaroons


                Three Years Ago Today:                                                Four Years Ago Today:
          Bratwurst with Beer and Cabbage                                             PDG Cinnamon Rolls

6 comments :

RATOLINHA said...

Que delicioso bolo de maçã!
beijo

We Are Not Martha said...

I was obsessed with Norway as a kid and it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. Definitely need to add this cake to my repertoire :)

Sues

David said...

Mary, I don't think that we've had Norwegian Apple Cake for many years as we wandered around the Scandinavian areas of the northern portions of the Midwest! It does bring back luscious memories... Thanks for the recipe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Linda said...

It looks delicious!!! I also love the blue Currier and Ives plate. It brings back great memories of my childhood. My mother had a set just like this. :)

Hege | Repolished said...

Thanks for sharing, Mary! The cake looks great! :)

Becky said...

This is very, very good, Mary. It is much like a pear tart that I make in a spring form pan, too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly