Thursday, April 9, 2015

Kinda Like Outback Steakhouse Sweet Molasses Brown Bread


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Look Dick. See Jane Mary. See funny funny Jane Mary walk on eggshells as she talks about these rolls. Funny funny Mary actually had to make this recipe twice because her first batch of rolls was like bocce balls, that if properly aimed could kill a man. In all fairness, I must tell you that I normally would not make these rolls. They are too sweet to be savory and not sweet enough to replace the sweet rolls I do like to serve for breakfast. However, we had a guest who loves the Outback restaurant's molasses brown bread and as a special treat I thought I'd try to make them for him using a copycat recipe I found while surfing recipe databases. I could tell I was in trouble as the clay-like dough in the first batch stiffened and lost elasticity as it was kneaded. Experience has taught me that this kind of dough isn't worth baking off, so I bravely trashed the stiff mass and started over again. This time I made it a point to fluff and spoon, rather than scoop the flour into my measuring cups. While I was at it I also decreased the amount of cocoa I was using from two to a single tablespoon. The dough in the second batch was more malleable, and while it was heavier than I like, it was workable. Cutting to the chase, our friend loved the rolls, the rest of us not so much. Tomorrow, I'm going to share a can't fail recipe for whole wheat rolls for those of you who like to serve lighter and less sweet bread products with your meals. On the chance you'd like to create a brown bread like the one served at the Outback, I'm going to post the recipe despite my reservations. Here is how the rolls are made. Remember not to use too much flour.


Kinda Like Outback Steakhouse Sweet Molasses Brown Bread...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of It's Always Autumn

Ingredients:
4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 egg
1 to 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
2 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons warmed molasses
1/4 cup warmed honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1-3/4 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
1-3/4 to 2 cups whole wheat flour

Directions:
1) Combine water and yeast in large mixing bowl of stand mixer and let stand until foamy, about  10 minutes. minutes
2) Add egg, baking cocoa, butter, molasses, brown sugar, honey, salt and all-purpose flour to mixing bowl and mix with paddle attachment for about 1 minute, or until combined.
3) Add whole wheat flour, one cup at a time, kneading well with bread hook on low until dough begins to pull away from sides of mixer. Continue kneading for 7 to 10 minutes.
4) Dump dough onto floured surface and knead a few times by hand and form into a ball before placing it in a bowl to rise in a warm place. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 60-90 minutes.
5) Punch dough down and shape into 16 rolls. Place in greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish, cover, and let rise for about 60 minutes.
6) Bake at 350 degrees F for 22 minutes, or until baked through. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire  racks to cool. These rolls are lovely when served warm. Yield: 16 rolls.


Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts


                One Year Ago Today:                                                    Two Years Ago Today:
                    Carrot Timbales                                         Spinach with Scrambled Eggs and Cheese


                Three Years Ago Today:                                                 Four Years Ago Today:
          Everyday Cinnamon Coffee Cake                                          Pink Grapefruit Smoothie

2 comments :

David said...

Mary, These 'rounds' of brown bread look and sound terrific. We've never tried making anything like this. Thanks for the recipe! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Carol at Wild Goose Mama said...

You ARE a good friend. Bocce balls,huh. I am old enough to get the Dick and Jane Reference. I wonder if Spot would have eaten an of the rolls in the first batch. Probably---Laughing.
I don't normally talk about ME, but please note the slight change in name from Wild Goose Tea. New web design too---whoopee and I am adding some new features.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly