From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I feel almost guilty calling these granola bars. While they contain oatmeal and peanuts, they are missing some of the other ingredients you'd expect to find in true granola bars. I, actually a young visitor, found the recipe while searching for peanut butter bars. He found them on the Cindy Shopper site, and because we made no changes to the recipe he found there, we thought we should stick with the name they had originally been given. This is a quickly assembled cookie bar that requires no baking, and if you like peanuts and chocolate with the added crunch of puffed rice you'll be in 7th heaven. The bars are quite nice and because they are so easy to make they would make great kitchen project when you have young helpers in the house. I keep the bars in the refrigerator to keep them from becoming too soft and sticky. I can attest to the fact that kids love these, and if given free rein, they would eat them in one sitting, and you'd never have to worry about leftovers. Do try these. They are fast and easy to make and they are delicious. Here is how they are made.
Peanut Butter Granola Bars...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Cindy Shopper
2 cups quick oats
2 cups puffed rice cereal(i.e Rice Crispies)
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup salted peanuts
1/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Line 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper leaving excess on each side for lifting.
2) Combine oats, peanuts and cereal in a large bowl and mix well. Set aside.
3) Combine peanut butter, honey, and brown sugar. Microwave on high for 1 minute, remove and stir. Microwave for another minute. Stir in vanilla and stir 30 seconds.
4) Pour microwaved mixture over dry mixture and incorporate evenly.
5) Pour into prepared pan. Press down to form an even layer. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over top. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6) Remove from pan using parchment paper to lift and cut into squares. Yield: 12 to 16 bars.
One Year Ago Today: Two Years Ago Today:Asparagus and Scallion Salad Tiramisu Ice Cream Cake
Three Years Ago Today: Four Years Ago Today:Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars Sweet Berry Wine Sauce