Thursday, March 31, 2016

Lentil, Rice and Walnut Patties


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Following my experiment with the Curried Lentil Rice recipe that I featured here last week, I had leftover rice and lentils that were screaming to be used. Lentils are not an ingredient that I've used a lot in the past, but I'm trying to replace some of the meat in my diet with more planet-friendly choices, so they are appearing more often in the recipes I feature here. I found tonight's recipe on the Whole Food's web site, and because I've had generally good luck with their recipes I thought I'd give it a try. I'm happy to report this reforming carnivore actually liked these patties. They are easy to make and they are a great way to use leftover rice and lentils. I served ours with a shaved kale salad and a loaf of crusty country bread. While the Silver Fox also had a pork chop, he ate two patties, so, it's fair to say they were well received. I did use more salt than the original recipe called for, and the next time I make these I'll double the quantity of walnuts used to prepare the patties. The walnuts add a nice crunch to these gluten-free patties and I think you will enjoy them. Here's how they are made.



Lentil Rice and Walnut Patties...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Whole Food recipes

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small carrot, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped button mushrooms
1/4 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts (I used 1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (I used 1-1/2 teaspoons)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
2 cups cooked brown or white rice, divided use
1-1/2 cup cooked lentils, or 1 (15-ounce) can lentils, rinsed and drained
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons canola or peanut oil, divided use

Directions:
1) Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, mushrooms, walnuts, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Scrape mixture into a large bowl; transfer to a large bowl.
2) In a food processor, purée 1 cup rice, lentils and egg until smooth. Transfer to bowl with vegetables, add remaining 1 cup rice and stir to combine. Form lentil mixture into 10 to 12 patties, using about 1/4 cup of the mixture to make each one.
3) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Arrange half of the patties in skillet and cook, flipping once, until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes total. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat process with remaining sunflower oil and patties. Serve hot. Yield: 5 to 6 servings.


Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                  Older Posts


                One Year Ago Today:                                                   Two Years Ago Today:
                 Brown Bag Brownies                                                      Lemon Scented Ice Milk


                Three Years Ago Today:                                              Four Years Ago Today:
                 Crostini with Pea Pesto                                             Fresh Cod and Potato Cakes

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly