Thursday, March 10, 2016

Small Batch Amish Sugar Cookies


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...As part of another project I've been working on, I've been taking a close look at Amish recipes. This one came up over and over again and it appeared so often in my searches that I don't know who to credit for the original version of the cookies. As a matter of fact, despite its title, I'm not sure the cookies are actually Amish. I can tell you that it has proved to be an enormously popular recipe that has staying power. It refuses to go away. These days, the Silver Fox and I don't need 5 dozen cookie in the kitchen, so I took the base recipe and created a half-batch version that is more in keeping with the needs of our small household. The cookies are simple to make and if you are looking for a basic sugar cookie this recipe has your name on it. I follow the recipe to a tee, save for the fact I refrigerate the dough for an hour or so before I shape and bake it to minimize the spread of cookies on the pans. This is a nice, if somewhat basic cookie, and I know those of you who try the recipe will be pleased with your results. Here is how the "Amish" sugar cookies are made.


Amish Sugar Cookies...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite original source unknown

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
1) In large bowl, beat butter, oil and both sugars. Add egg and beat until well blended. Beat in vanilla.
2) Combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Gradually add to creamed mixture.
3) Drop by small teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.


Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                       Older Posts


                One Year Ago Today:                                                   Two Years Ago Today:
                            Italian Sausage Bake                                                       Fudgy Brownie Drops


                Three Years Ago Today:                                                       Four Years Ago Today:
                     Irish Apple Cake                                                                   Green Apple Martini

3 comments :

Laura said...

I love a great sugar cookie recipe, but a good one is hard to find.
I am excited about trying this one next week when I visit my grandsons.
Thank you!

Do you think this dough could be cut with a cookie cutter?

Enjoyed visiting,
Laura

Mary Bergfeld said...

Laura, this is not a roll and cut dough, so the answer to your question is no.

Anonymous said...

I am looking for a Sugar CAKE recipe. It's large (about the size of a CD) poofy and is cake-like in texture. I remember helping my mother make them but she tends to leave ingredients out of the recipes when she "shares" her recipes so I can't get it quite right. I remember folding in egg whites at the end to make the batter poofy as mentioned before. It is very popular in central PA. I think my grandmother had the original recipe and she's long passed. Course granulated sugar was sprinkled on top. Some people add chocolate chips for those who love chocolate.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly