From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...There are times when improvisation in the kitchen is necessary. We had unexpected guests arrive this afternoon and a dinner planned for two had to be stretched to feed four. I had two chicken breasts halves thawed for our supper and I used them a the base for patties I extended with standard pantry and refrigerator items. My add-ins had a Mediterranean flair, so I decided to call the dish Corsican Chicken Steaks. I later amended the name to patties because I didn't feel my end result created patties that were steak-like in size. Their taste and texture are, however, more steak than burger-like. These patties have more texture than those that are made with ground chicken. I've found that ten pulses in the food processor gives the chicken the texture I'm looking for. I use no egg or bread crumb to bind the chicken mixture. I've found that the patties hold their shape without a binder if you delay turning them until a crust forms on their lower surface. They can be served in a bun or on pita bread, but I like to serve them as-is with a lemon coleslaw, found here, and a crusty Swiss Rosti potato which you can find here. I know those of you who give this recipe a try will enjoy chicken prepared in this way. The patties are fast and easy to make and they are perfect if you are looking to serve something different for a change. Here is how they are made.
..from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite
2 (8-oz.) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives
1/4 cup drained, chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1/4 cup drained, chopped roasted red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup feta cheese chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup commercial olive oil mayonnaise
Zest of 1 small lemon
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1) Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Working in two batches, place chicken in bowl of a food processor and pulse just 10 times. Transfer chopped chicken to a large bowl.
2) Place olives sun-dried tomatoes, roasted peppers, shallots, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon zest in bowl of food processor and pulse to coarsely chop.
3) Add olive mixture and feta cheese to chicken and mix to combine. Form into 5 patties.
3) Heat oil and butter in a large saute pan set over medium high heat. When butter has melted and mixture is sizzling add patties and cook 5 minutes per side. Serve warm with lemon mayonnaise. Yield: 5 servings.
4) To make lemon mayonnaise: Combine mayonnaise, lemon zest and lemon juice in a small bowl. Mix well. Refrigerate.
One Year Ago Today: Two Years Ago Today:Donuts for Dunkers Sweet Corn Ice Cream
Three Years Ago Today: Four Years Ago Today:Glazed Strawberry Scones 10 Favorite Recipes 2011