Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Glazed Strawberry Scones



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I am inordinately fond of scones. I regularly search for new recipes to add to my collection and the last time I did that, I came across this recipe in two different places. The recipes had nearly identical time stamps, so I was forced to conclude that great minds think alike and credit both sources for these delicious biscuits. While Tyler Florence makes them with blueberries, the folks at Taste of Home magazine prefer to use strawberries. I'm using the strawberries tonight because they are more plentiful right now. I use fresh berries to make these, but briefly freeze them before folding them in the scone batter. Frozen berries tend to keep their shape and don't bleed the way their soft counterparts do. This recipe is straightforward and the scones are very easy to make. While I cut the butter into the dry ingredients manually, this could be done in a food processor or electric mixer, as long as you don't get carried away and overwork the dough. The trick to a good scone or biscuit is a dough that is mixed only until the ingredients are moistened. Over mixing will produce scones that are heavy and tough. These are featherlight and, I must warn you, they are addicting. The recipe can be doubled if you have a gang to feed. The scones will keep for a day or so, but you should rewarm them before serving. I know those of you who try these gems will love them. The glaze that tops them is absolutely delicious and I think you'll enjoy scones that are made with fresh fruit. Here's the recipe.

Glazed Strawberry Scones...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Tyler Florence and Taste of Home magazine

 Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour + flour for kneading
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold butter
1 cup + 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
1 cup unsweetened strawberries, chopped and frozen in a single layer for 1 hour
Glaze
1 cups confectioners' sugar
4 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons melted butter
2 teaspoons 2% milk

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2) In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1 cup cream just until moistened. Fold in strawberries.
3) Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Pat dough into a 9-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Cut in half horizontally. Cut each half into four rectangles; separate and place on prepared baking sheet. Brush with reserved 2 tablespoons cream. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
3) For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, butter and milk; drizzle over warm scones. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.













One Year Ago Today: My Ten Favorite Recipes

















Two Years Ago Today: Sweet Corn Ice Cream














Three Years Ago Today: Donuts for National Donut Day


41 comments :

David said...

Mary, I just love scones...strawberry and blueberry are my favorites! Thanks for the recipe...these look great! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Mother said...

My son loves so much iced biscuits. I make some for Easter, do not miss me from sending them. Hello, Mother.

Katarina said...

I'm really fond of scones too! They are so delicious with clotted cream and some jam!

Lenia said...

This is a real temptation!Have a lovely day,dear Mary!

Ana Regalado said...

Mary , these scones look fabulous ! Great idea re freezing the berries :) Delicious photo as well ! ;D

Priya Suresh said...

Super irresistible scones,am loving it.

Jeannie said...

I love scones, my boys don't! So there goes my chance of making them unless I want to eat them every morning for the next week! Yours looks very tempting!

Lynn said...

Ma's coming over for coffee on Saturday and I might just put these on the table! Thanks:@)

safire said...

I love a great breakfast pastry. I have an enormous sweet tooth so these look simply amazing to me!

Tanna said...

Mary, I am "inordinately fond" of scones myself!! I appreciate this recipe and the tip for freezing the fresh berries before adding them!! blessings ~ tanna

From the Kitchen said...

I think The Baker might be getting these on the Father's Day breakfast menu. We both love scones! I am most appreciative of the advice on freezing the strawberries!

Best,
Bonnie

Kim said...

Hummmmm, I'm having my breakfast right now and you know what???? I wish I could have one of these beautiful scones of your! plus, I really llike the fact that you baked these with strawberries!

Unknown said...

I adore scones - though I have never actually made them myself. I always say I'm going to do it and then pick something else to make instead :) These look amazing, Mary. Thanks for the tip on freezing the berries, too!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

i am constantly stunned at your body of work with your "year ago", 2 years, 3 years photos. Just in love with your style of blogging. Hope you are enjoying the vacation planning and reunion

Dave

Jane said...

Mary, these scones look so light and delicious! Have a wonderful day!

Best Business Brands said...

Fresh organic strawberry scones With A sweet orange juice glaze , perfect for Sunday brunch or the Monday morning rush.

Anonymous said...

ymmmmm...strawberry scones sound perfect this morning!

Claudia said...

Noted. I love a tender scone and love using the grand strawberries - although it's hard to use them in baking because we just gobble them up.

Sue/the view from great island said...

Another great baking with strawberries post---bookmarked this one too!

June said...

Strawberries and cream in scones. I'm in love!

Tricia @ saving room for dessert said...

Oh just give me a cup of coffee and would could have a nice long chat with a plate of these! Beautiful.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I am a tender scone lover and I specially like the drizzled with sugar kind! I will be making this great recipe very soon, so thank you. Lots of hugs,
FABBY

Blond Duck said...

I've never tried making a scone!

Debra Hawkins said...

I LOVE scones! I am not eating carbs right now and just reading this recipe is breaking my resistance. :)

Suzie said...

The idea of freezing the berries...genius! Love your little helpful tips you slide in there Mary :)

JG said...

These look delicious! Strawberry season is just starting here - just in time. :)
~Judy

A Paixão da Isa said...

adoro secones e esses estam mt a meu gosto adorei bjs

Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin said...

Can you believe I've never baked homemade scones? You've convinced me to try though - strawberry scones sound so delicious :)

Gloria Baker said...

What nice and delicious scones Mary!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I am, too. Would you like my White Chocolate Apricot Scone recipe?

Vicki Bensinger said...

I adore scones but these look especially delicious with strawberries. YUM!

Purabi Naha said...

These scones sound amazing...prticularly because this is strawberry season and your recipe sounds great! My kids would love these after they come back from school!!

Angie's Recipes said...

This is going to be a hit in our house. Love fresh fruit used in the baked goods.

What's next said...

I love scones and will need to try this! I'll need to find somewhere to take them to keep from eating them all!

Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits said...

Mary, the thing I love about scones is that they are so tasty and they're low in sugar (minus the glaze). That's also a nice tip about freezing the berries.

Kathy said...

Mary, Such beautiful scones…my favorite treat with tea! Delicious looking!

Joanne said...

I definitely haven't done enough scone-making over the years and I need to change that! Love how berry-licious these are!

Veronica Miller said...

Love the strawberry treats you're posting and these sound sooo lovely!

My Little Space said...

Hmm...mm...such comforting tea treat. I want more butter spread please.
Kristy

tender b. said...

Scones are always too dry for me. Add a little glaze and everything changes.

alfred said...

Apples have always been a favorite ingredient for making moist and delicious cakes. These apple cake recipes are simple to make and very tasty indeed.

Strawberry Glaze

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly