Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Roasted Asparagus wth Parmesan and Crumb Crust





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...How many people does it take to produce a decent photo of asparagus with a Parmesan crust? Obviously, more than are sitting at my kitchen table tonight. Ordinarily, I bypass the recipe and find something else to post, but this is such a nice dish that I wanted to share it with you  while asparagus is still in season. I'll be posting twice today to make up for the bad photograph. The version of the dish I'm highlighting tonight was developed by Mark Bittman, and you can find his recipe and a photo of the asparagus as he made it, here. The dish is simple to make and can be assembled several hours before serving. Those of you who try this recipe will be really pleased with the results. Here's how the asparagus is made. 

Roasted Asparagus With Crunchy Parmesan Topping...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Mark Bittman

Ingredients:
1/2 cup bread crumbs, preferably homemade
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1-1/2 pounds asparagus, more or less
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Directions:

1) Heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan.
2) Rinse asparagus and break off woody bottoms. Peel if thick. Lay stalks in a baking dish that will hold them in two or three layers, and, if asparagus are thick, add a splash of water. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and place in oven.
3) Roast until asparagus are tender, 10 to 12 minutes if they’re thick. Test for doneness by piercing a spear with point of a sharp knife; it should slide in but meet a little resistance. (Up to this point, recipe can be made as much as two hours before serving; just leave asparagus at room temperature.)
4) Turn on broiler and place rack as close as possible to heating element. Top asparagus with cheese-crumb mixture and run under broiler to brown, a minute or two. Serve hot or at room temperature. Yield: 4 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Ten Favorite Desserts



















Two Years Ago Today: Lamb and Feta Patties with Red Pepper Relish
















Three Years Ago Today: Orangery Pine Nut Tart



26 comments :

Sarah Toasty said...

simple is always best, this seems like such a great spring go to dish! love it, lady

Katarina said...

I think the picture is good and the dish is delicious!

Priya Suresh said...

Yumm, wat a great looking roasted asparagus.

Ana Regalado said...

What a refreshing and nutritious dish ! It looks good to me ! ;) I tend to buy baby asparagus and just stir fry it with minced garlic . Adding parmesan and roasting it sure sounds fantastic !

Chatty Crone said...

I love asparagus. sandie

Mom To Chef said...

Good taste recipe.
Mom to chef

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Mary, We eat roasted asparagus all the time at StoneGable. I will have to try it with the Parmesan Crumb Crust. Sounds wonderful!
I am making your strawberry scones this weekend! We are at the height of strawberry season!

Kim said...

Love eating gilled aspargus with parmesan cheese and bread crumbs!

Barbara said...

Perfect for summer, Mary. That crust would be the first thing I'd go after. :)

Unknown said...

Your bad photos are still better than most of my good ones!! :) I mean, how many other people can make me think asparagus looks so good?

David said...

Mary, I love asparagus! Roasting looks like it would take store bought asparagus and turn it into something more tender and delicious. For sure we'll have to try this recipe! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Simple, gorgeous, and can be assembled ahead?!? How wonderful. And you're being too hard on yourself per the picture;)

Lynda said...

I think the picture is very good Mary....and I adore roasted asparagus. I'm going to try it with Parmesan later this week when I make it again.

Angie's Recipes said...

I too love green asparagus. Right up my alley!

Suzie said...

Mary, I don't think you can take a bad photograph. This looks fine to me :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It looks scrumptious Mary. Local asparagus is still here and I still have so many plans.

SKIP TO MALOU said...

Thanks for reminding me that asparagus are still around. Why did I miss on asparagus this season? ok time to rush to the store and get some... 'later Mary :)
malou

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

And here I sit with a big batch of asparagus in my fridge needing to be used up! Well timed post at least for me and i should live so long as to take a better photo

Dave

Anonymous said...

oh yum! i love asparagus! so delicious:) thanks for sharing!

A PaixĂ£o da Isa said...

adoro espargos esses assim estao mt a meu gosto bravo bjs

Dining Alone said...

I think the photo looks good! I love asparagus and parmesan, great combo.

Chiara said...

It's look delicious Mary,have a good day...

Ginny Hartzler said...

So often, asparagus dishes don't look very good, but this one is very pretty!

What's next said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Salsa Verde said...

Absolutely divine!!!
Lia.

France@beyondthepeel said...

It sounds really good and I'm sure this crust is super flexible, meaning I'm sure its good on beans, broccoli...yum

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly