Monday, March 21, 2011

Pumpkin-Peanut Risotto



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This lovely risotto is really a perfect dish for Meatless Mondays. It has wonderful color and a flavor profile that is sure to please. The recipe was developed at the Culinary Institute of America and it is nearly foolproof to make. You must, however, be careful not to over cook the arborio rice, and make sure that the risotto is served while it is piping hot. The rice gets gummy as it cools and it does not reheat well. If you do have leftovers, plan to use them to make risotto cakes or use them as a binder in chopped or ground meat. I use canned, unseasoned puree to make this, though I'm sure the risotto would be even better made with fresh pumpkin or squash. I made no changes to the recipe, save for the addition of salt and a pinch of nutmeg. I like this well enough to incorporate it into our Easter dinner. I have yet to decide if I'll serve it as a separate course or use it as a side along with other dishes. All the ingredients needed to make the risotto can be found in any well-stocked grocery store. Here's the recipe which I first found at The Peanut Institute.

Pumpkin-Peanut Risotto...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, courtesy of the Culinary Institute of America

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoons peanut oil
1/3 cup onion, finely minced
1-1/2 cups arborio rice
5-1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup peanuts, toasted
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt to taste

Directions:

1) Heat butter and peanut oil in a heavy 4-quart casserole over moderate heat. Add onion and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until it begins to soften, being careful not to brown it.
2) Add rice to onions and stir for 1 minute, using a wooden spoon to make sure all grains are well coated. Bring the broth to a steady simmer in a saucepan on top of stove. Begin to add simmering broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently. Wait until each addition is almost completely absorbed before adding next 1/2 cup, reserving about 1/4 cup to add at end. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
3) When rice is tender but still firm, about 18 minutes, add reserved broth, pumpkin, lemon juice and parsley. Turn off heat and immediately add butter and Parmesan and stir vigorously to combine with rice. Garnish with peanuts. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.

You might also enjoy these recipes:
Shrimp Risotto - One Perfect Bite
Asparagus and Lemon Grass Risotto - One Perfect Bite
Risotto with Smoked Salmon Spinach and Peas - One Perfect Bite
.
Risotto all Milanese(2) - Love through the Stomach
Farro Risotto - Christine's Cuisine
Brown Rice Risotto with Roasted Tomatoes - Deliciously Organic
Lobster Risotto - In Danny's Kitchen
Mushroom Risotto - Closet Cooking
Sausage and Mushroom Risotto - Sugar Crafter
Roasted Garlic Risotto - Handle the Heat
Asparagus and Mushroom Risotto - Life's Ambrosia
Mexican Risotto - What's Cooking, Mexico
Salmon and Pea Risotto - Coconut and Lime
Mushroom and Leek Risotto - Sweet Salty Spicy
Lemon and Roasted Red Pepper Risotto - Food is Love
Tomato Risotto - Phem Fatale
Butternut Squash Risotto - So Easy, So Tasty
Turkey Mushroom Risotto - Simply Recipes
Fresh Corn Risotto - Culinary in the Desert
Barley Risotto with Mushrooms and Thyme - Kalyn's Kitchen

This post is being linked to:
Smiling Sally - Blue Monday

67 comments :

Allison said...

I love the combination of pumpkin and peanut but, I have only had it in a soup. I am so intrigued by this recipe. I have not thought about pumpkin in a few months and now I have a serious craving!

Anonymous said...

I like seeing pumpkin again. I always seem to think of it as a fall only ingredient. But, I'm coming around! Great post!

Gloria Baker said...

What nice and lovely risotto Mary, huggs, gloria

muppy said...

This sounds delicious. I find it quite amusing when i read canned pumpkin as here in australia i don't think you can buy it. I always just puree freshly cooked pumpkin.

Alessandra said...

This is so interesting: I often make pumpkin risotto, but I never thought of pairing it with peanuts!

I am with Muppy here, in NZ also you don't get pumpkin puree canned, but pumpkins are available all year round.

ciao

Alessandra

cocoa and coconut said...

What a unique recipe Mary! Risotto is such a gourmet dish, but your added ingredients make it that much better

Pondside said...

That's an interesting combination of ingredients. My daughter like to make risotto so perhaps I can persuade her to try this.

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is a kind of unusual pairing of flavors, I can't imagine how it would taste! But if you are recommending it this much, I bet it is delicious!

Maria said...

Gorgeous and comforting, I love this!

Diane said...

What an interesting combination. Diane

Red Nomad OZ said...

Hey, great combination!! Must be a 'grey panther' thing!! LOVE that phrase, LOVE IT!!!! Thanx for sharing it with me on my blog!

Shirley said...

Love the combination!

Nina Timm said...

Wow, Mary talk about fusion cooking, this is it!! Looks so creamy!!

Three-Cookies said...

Pumpkin and peanut seems like an unusual combination but peanuts seem to work with most dishes, so why not!

Katarina said...

Sounds delicious! Hugs

Ana Rita Marreiros said...

Very nice risotto Mary!!It as a great creamyness...

Hope you ha ve a nice day,

Rita

P.s- Tomorrow check out my blog because i have a surprise for you!!!Hope you like it!

Priya Suresh said...

Very interesting risotto...awesome!

kitchen flavours said...

I have never tried risotto before! It is not a common meal over here, but am seeing many yummy risotto recipes ever since I started blogging, your addition with pumpkin sounds really good. Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely week, Mary!

The Blonde Duck said...

I never thought of pumpkins and peanuts.

Khadija El Mary said...

Gorgeous! I love all these Peanut Flavour Dishes coming from your cuisine. Have a nice day Mary!

Kim said...

I would love thise dish. I love risottos. I woulb prepare it with butternut squash because it's the easiest to find! Love it!

Elaine said...

This looks so creamy and with the pumpkin it sounds like a very heart dish.

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

The flavors of pumpkin and peanut are really intriguing, and the color is lovely - I haven't made risotto in a long time, and I have some frozen puree which I saved from the last pumpkin of fall ... just enough!

Mel_Cole said...

Looks like a mighty nutritious dish.
My Blue Monday post

StephenC said...

I love the sound of this. We make risotto a couple of times a month and this is a variation worth paying attention to.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fantastic combination of flavors. It looks beautiful!

Renee Paj said...

Risotto is one of those dishes I need to make...I have never made it! Sounds like a delicious one to try! Thanks Mary! Have a lovely day!

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

Im bookmarking this - it sounds wonderful!

Danielle

SmilingSally said...

How tempting.

Thanks for sharing your blues.

Happy Blue Monday, Mary.

Suman Singh said...

What a great combination of ingredients..looks wonderful and delicious!

gengen said...

Yum yum...Happy blue Monday.

Beverly said...

I'm certain I would like this. I am a lover of risotto, but I always end up preparing it with mushrooms.

Rita said...

I am risotto lover at any time. What a great and different preparation; sounds amazing with peanuts and pumpkin, it has to be good.
Rita

Sarah Naveen said...

Love risotto..this looks so yummy!!

TexWisGirl said...

Mary - thanks for popping by my little blog today and leaving a comment! I'm glad you liked your visit and do hope you come back - although I don't know how you find the time! I'm not a cook of any kind or I'd be one of your many stalkers!!! :) God bless you!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness this sounds delicious! I love the idea of combining the pumpkin and peanuts! A beautiful, comforting dish and I have also been wanting to make risotto again to try to get that perfect "spreading" consistency - last time mine was too sticky!

We Are Not Martha said...

I've never met a risotto I didn't like... Or a pumpkin. This is totally unique and delicious-sounding. Thanks!

Sues

Jennifer said...

YUM, Risotto one of my favorites, however I only know how to make one, Milanese! Yours looks and sounds yummy!

That Girl said...

Hmmmm. I do love pumpkin risotto. I don't know how I feel about peanuts.

Joanne said...

This is definitely an intriguing take on pumpkin risotto! I adore peanuts and so the addition sounds wonderful to me!

Karen said...

Mary, this looks delightful! I could live just on risotto, so I'm always looking for new variations. I love the combination of pumpkin and pine nuts here. Delicious!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Hi Mary, Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a kind comment today. Now I was able to find your blog and am now following you! What a superb blog with so many awesome recipes. This risotto and ALL of the other risottos that you listed must be mouth-watering! I just LOVE risotto!

Harika baratam said...

wow very innovative awesome presentation.

Lori said...

I have been craving risotto Mary. Yours looks amazing.

Pie said...

That looks tasty. Happy blue Monday.

I played too. Mine is here.

Claudia said...

I have never made risotto with pumpkin. This does sound so wonderfully hearty - a very good March meal indeed.

Laural (bhealthier) said...

delicious!!!! I ALWAYS forget which type of rice I need to make risotto when I am at the store! I had the absolute best risotto at this great restaurant and the chef wrote down the recipe for me!

Can't wait to try it AND your re-make in the future!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Pumpkin and peanut? Wow, you come up with awesome combinations. I never would have thought of that in a million years, but I bet it tastes fantastic!

Sarahx

Heather said...

Yum! It's so cold in my office right now and I would love a bite of that! Hope you had a nice weekend!

Jocie's Mom said...

This is an ace recipe! I never ate pumpkin besides for dessert before I moved to Cayman and its now a staple side dish. So good!

Natasha in Oz said...

That looks great! I have often made pumpkin risotto but would never have thought of adding nuts like that. Great idea.

Best wishes and happy week,
Natasha.

Stevie said...

This looks good. I would consider adding something spicy to balance the sweetness of the pumpkin: perhaps cayenne or powdered pasilla pepper?

I like the idea of the nuts. Never really thought about the gummy-factor of leftover risotto but you're quite right about that. Do you think that leftovers could be used to make some kind of veggie burger?

Dulce Caldeira said...

Hi Mary, lovely combination of flavours, loocks so creamy, awasome!
Cheers.

Sonia said...

The pumpkin risoto is looking so inviting. I loved the combo you have used and will surely try this recipe.

Cooking Creation said...

Mmm! I love the combination of peanut and pumpkin! This sounds delicious!

Unknown said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful! I love pumpkin, I've had it in curries and raviolis but never in a risotto before. It looks delicious :)

Wendy Irene said...

I have some squash cubes in my fridge that I had no ideas for. Thanks for the inspiration! I think this would be great for it because I was in the mood to do something more than just roast it.

Rhonda said...

I just got a new pressure cooker and I wanted to try making risotto in it, I also had a can of pumpkin I wanted to use. Looks like I found my answer.

Ben said...

Mary, this is beautiful. I'm a big fan of risotto anyway, but you've really shown how much can be done with it! I really like the whole direction your blog has. Count me in as your newest fan. (Thanks, too, for coming to my blog and leaving such a nice comment!) I'm looking forward to seeing you again, in both places.

Ben
http://kissthecook-ben.blogspot.com/

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

yum yum! first time in to visit in your blog. Mine is up - My Blue Monday

sally said...

I'm intrigued by the pumpkin and peanut combination. I love both, so they must be good together.

Zoe said...

I'm always afraid to cook risotto. After seeing your recipe, I've to be brave this time.

Julie said...

I love risotto, it's one of my favorite comfort foods. What a great recipe! Thanks, Mary!

Jamie said...

I love risotto. It is a what can i make for dinner dinner. And peanuts? What a clever addition to a great risotto!

Rita said...

I've never thought of using peanuts in a risotto. They sound great with pumpkin.

Spoon and Chopsticks said...

I love your combination of pumpkin and peanut. Looks delicious. I will give this a try.

Anonymous said...

Oh Swoon... pumpkin risotto, this has or is by far my favorite risotto, pumpkin. I haven't made risotto in a long while, thanks for the reminder just how good it is!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly