Friday, July 8, 2016

Mac n' Pimento Cheese


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Several years ago, I used some leftover pimento cheese topping in a mac n' cheese I was making for a family lunch. The addition proved to be so popular, that it has become part of the recipe I use when I make the casserole for them. These days, whenever I make the pimento cheese I use as a topping, I double the recipe so I have enough to make our special mac n' cheese. My family prefers the creamy variety, so I serve ours directly from the pot. If you prefer a crustier, cheese topped mac n' cheese, you'll find directions for that in the recipe below. While any pimento cheese spread could be used in this recipe, I love the way my version is flavored. You can see my recipe HERE. I hope you'll give this version of mac n' cheese a try. It really is delicious. Here is how it's made.



Mac n' Pimento Cheese
....from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1 pound elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
3 cups milk
2 cups homemade pimento cheese topping HERE)
1 (4-oz.) jar sliced pimentos, undrained
1 cup grated Cheddar or Colby cheese (optional)
salt and pepper

Directions:
1) Cook macaroni following instructions on box.
2) Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan set over medium heat. Add flour to melted butter and stir until combined. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add milk and stir until flour mixture has dissolved. Continue to stir until mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Add pimento cheese topping and undrained pimentos and stir until cheese has melted. Remove from heat.
3) Drain macaroni and return to pot. Add sauce to macaroni and stir until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat through. If you like creamy mac n' cheese, serve directly from pot. If you like your macaroni drier, continue with step 4.
4) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Turn macaroni and cheese into prepared pan. Top with grated cheese and bake for 25 minutes or until cheese has melted. Yield: 8 to 12 servings.


Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                 Older Posts



                 One Year Ago Today:                                                  Two Years Ago Today:
             Tomatillo Shrimp Enchiladas                                             Blueberry Bread Pudding


                Three Years Ago Today:                                                    Four Years Ago Today:
           Lemon Glazed Blueberry Cake                                                   Rhubarb Custard Pie

1 comment :

Velva said...

I have a love affair with pimento cheese and the idea of it being warm gooey in pasta is divine.

Velva

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly