Friday, August 26, 2016

Brown Sugar Banana Bread


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I rarely buy bananas these days. Years ago, they had a constant presence in our fruit bowl, but nowadays the Silver Fox and I seem unable to eat a bunch before it blackens. As it happens, I bought a small bunch of bananas at the farmers' market last Saturday. I did not know that a vacation bound neighbor would make me the recipient of her fruit bowl the following day. I suddenly had a lot of bananas on my hands. Fortunately, I also had some time to search for new ways in which they could be used. Rather than get too wild, I decided to make new versions of old recipes that I knew the Silver Fox would enjoy. If you are looking for new recipes for banana bread and cake, I think you will enjoy the recipes I'll be featuring the next few days. I really like this brown sugar version of banana bread. It produces a moist loaf that has a deeper flavor than other banana breads I've tried, but it is just as easy to make. I do hope you'll keep this recipe in mind the next time your bananas turn nasty. Here is how this simple bread is made.



Brown Sugar Banana Bread...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of All Recipes.

Ingredients:
4 ripe bananas, cut into chunks
1-1/4 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup whole milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
2) Place bananas into a large plastic zipper bag, seal bag, and smoosh bananas with your fingers until very well mashed. Set bananas aside.
3) Place brown sugar and butter into a mixing bowl, and mix on medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Cut a corner from plastic bag, and squeeze mashed bananas into bowl of brown sugar mixture. With electric mixer on medium speed, beat in the banana mixture, egg, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and milk until well combined.
4) Switch mixer to low speed, and gradually beat in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and kosher salt just until batter is smooth, about 1 minute. Spread batter into the prepared loaf pan.
5) Bake in preheated oven until bread is set and lightly browned on top, about 40 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf should come out clean. Yield: 1 loaf (8 to 10 servings).


Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                     Older Posts


                 One Year Ago Today:                                                          Two Years Ago Today:
          A Chicken in Every Crock Pot                                         Skillet Chicken with Pasta and Spinach


                Three Years Ago Today:                                                    Four Years Ago Today:
                      Apple Raisin Bars                                                        Rice and Asparagus Soup

2 comments :

David said...

Mary, I've had lots of banana bread in my life but I've never had brown sugar banana bread... It sounds very nice indeed! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Katie C. said...

I made this today. I like the taste, more brown sugar than banana bread. I had to cook my loaf 30 minutes extra (three 10 minute increments). It was hot and humid today and our a/c died last night (it was fixed just before lunch time) so maybe that did something to the ingrediants. Anyway, as a result, some of my edges were a bit well done ... But still very edible.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly