Friday, March 6, 2009

Andalusian Salad with Avocados, Oranges and Almonds


I love the blend of flavors and the colors of this Andalusian salad. It's a favorite of mine and because the picture says a thousand words I'll say no more. This is very easy to assemble and is table ready in minutes. I hope you'll enjoy it.

Andalusian Salad with Avocados, Oranges and Almonds

Ingredients:
3 oranges, peeled and cut in 1/4-inch slices
2 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
2 just ripe avocados, stoned, peeled and cut into chunks
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Sugar to taste (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Small Spanish or red onion rings
1/4 cup blanched and toasted almond slices
10 kalamata or oil-packed black olives

Directions:
1) Combine olive oil, lemon juice and parsley in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Season with sugar (if using), salt and pepper.
2) Toss tomatoes and avocados in half the dressing. Set aside.
3) Arrange orange slices on a plate; scatter with onion rings. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Spoon tomatoes, avocados, almonds and olives on top of oranges. oranges. Serve right away. Yield: 4 servings.

Cook's Note: If your onions are too strong, soak rings in ice water for about an hour before using.

18 comments :

Tom said...

The photos of your food always look great.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Thanks Chaka. Your encouragement is my muse. I couldn't do this if it weren't for folks like you. Come often.

Anonymous said...

Yea, a thousand words (or more!) the picture does say. What a summery, vitamin packed salad that looks!

Mary Bergfeld said...

r2s, the thing I love about Spanish cooking is that you can have summer all year round.

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Simple, but a combination of tastes that sings!!

Donna-FFW said...

Your food is so colorful and pretty. This sounds terrific and so very healthy. Gorgeous!

Maria said...

I love citrus in my salads. Beautiful!

Hootin Anni said...

Anything...and I do mean anything...with fruit and nuts, I love. This again, sounds delicious and of course I will have to try it.

Happy Friday Mary. To answer your question as to which I thought was harder to raise...boys or girls...for me personally, our daughter was more difficult. LOL, that's why I said "poor Irene another teenager". She was the rebel while our son was quite easy to 'handle'. You?

Lisa said...

This is beautiful! It is a feast just to look at, a trip to Spain on a plate. What's more, it is really so simple. Food at it's best!

Pam said...

What a bright and colorful salad. I love all the ingredients but never thought to put them together. Great recipe Mary.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Anni, male or female, teens go through rough periods. I think there is more worry associated with girls. There are easy kids and kids who are work from day one; I don't think that's gender related - it's more a function of personality. There is a certain poetic justice that comes with grandchildren. You don't have to say anything, you just watch and smile as the cycle once again repeat itself.

Swapna said...

Nice click. Kids friendly salad. Very healthy and nutricious.

Cathy said...

I love all the ingredients you've combined here, Mary. This salad is beautiful and so full of wonderful flavors.

Mary said...

Mary,

What wonderful appetizing foods you've shown here. The salad is especially appealing to me.

Thanks for commenting on my post about my arthritis. I'm thinking maybe you're right. I get very little rest with my knees the way they are.

Blessings,
Mary

Mary Bergfeld said...

Mary, I'm so glad you stopped by. Please don't be a stranger.

Hootin Anni said...

PS.....I tried that little ditty you shared about soaking onions in ice water. Terrific!!! It works!!!

Netts Nook said...

Mary: Your salad looks so yummy the oranges and avocado together sounds great.

La Bella Cooks said...

This looks so refreshing and flavor-full. Very hard to resist, in my opinion!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly