Sunday, July 19, 2009

Blue Moon Ice Cream - The Boy with the Blue Wagon



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...You've met this little guy before. You may not know his name, but I guarantee you know him well. Chances are you have a child like this in your own family. He's four going on forty and completely comfortable in the company of adults. He has twenty dollars in his pocket and is at the nursery to buy his mother a gift, a perfect gift, for Mother's Day. He's approached and been helped by every adult in the nursery, but as you can see he's not yet convinced he's made the right choice. He thought about it a while longer and then swapped the red geranium for a Martha Washington with flowers like apple blossoms, " because, silly, it's pretty like my Mom." He's going to be a heartbreaker in another decade. I thought you'd like to meet him on this Blue Monday morning. Have a wonderful day.

From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Blue Moon ice cream is really popular in the upper midwestern states. It's hard to find in other areas of the country. While I thought it would be fun to post a recipe for it on National Ice Cream Day, there's no reason for vanilla and chocolate ice cream to wave the flag of surrender. Blue Moon ice cream is an acquired taste. The Chicago Tribune once likened its taste to that of the milk left in a bowl of fruit loops. I offer it here as a curiosity and for those for whom it is a childhood memory. The recipe comes from RecipeZaar. If you're tempted but would like something a bit more sophisticated there are alcoholic versions of this recipe on the internet. Try here or here.


Blue Moon Ice Cream
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, courtesy of RecipeZaar

Ingredients:

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla pudding mix
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon blue food coloring
1 teaspoon raspberry flavored oil or 1 cup frozen raspberries, pureed
1 teaspoon lemon extract or lemon extract

Directions:
1. Scald milk in a pan set over medium heat. Add sugar, pudding mix and salt; stir until dissolved. Remove from heat. Add half-and-half, heavy cream, vanilla, raspberry and lemon flavoring. Stir in food coloring.
2) Chill in refrigerator until icy cold. Place in ice cream maker and freeze per manufacturers instructions. Yield: 6 servings.

I'm linking this to Smiling Sally for her Blue Monday event.

33 comments :

Anonymous said...

Look at that color! It's beautiful! And, I'm pretty sure I could easily adjust to something that tastes like the milk from fruit loops in ice cream form. I've never seen Blue Moon ice cream before, but it sounds like the South is missing out!

One Shabby Old House said...

Omgoodness, I grew up eating Blue Moon Ice Cream. Indiana born girl here.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and thank you for the recipe for Blue Moon Ice cream. You have a sweet little guy there
Hugs
Becky

noble pig said...

Never heard of it...now I want to try it! But that sweet boy....too cute!

CailinMarie said...

wow! BLUE BLUE BLUE ice cream. My kids would go bananas!
I don't know if you do awards and links with such a busy blog as you have going, never the less, I have awarded you the "lovely blog award"
If you are so inclined, please stop by and claim it!

Lori said...

Never heard of it but now I have to try it. I am like that you know.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Mary!
Love the post. Oh My Gosh, I love that little guy. Isn't he just beautiful? I have several of those little guys. 2 of my own, and 3 grandsons. Isn't it wonderful. Now that ice cream I have never had, but I guarantee you I will before the summer is over. Thanks for sharing. As always another wonderful post. Thanks Mary. Country Love and Hugs, Sherry

Bunny said...

This sounds fantastic! Bookmarking to make!

caren said...

Your grandson is adorable and what a sweetheart - he knows his mom is pretty! Your ice cream looks yummy - I have never heard of it!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Fun color--I have never heard of Blue Moon Ice Cream before. Cute little boy--love the picture.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Our nephew has a daughter that just turned six who is extremely comfortable with adults - just like this darling boy. She walked in my sister-in-law's house when she was four and said, "Carolyn, that's a beautiful table setting." Four!

I'm in awe of your blue moon ice cream. I've never heard of it.
Sam

Gee said...

Your blue ice cream looks yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy blue monday.

Barnyard Country Gifts said...

My boy's would love to have a Blue Moon Ice cream, even it is only for the color. We never heard of it before.
Have a nice blue monday, Annemieke

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

I have never heard of blue moon ice cream, but it sure looks good in the picture. Come on by my blog. I am having a blue and white giveaway.

Karen said...

Such an adorable little boy and story :) I grew up in New England and have never heard of Blue Moon ice cream. I love the color!

Boo-Bah AKA Iris said...

I have never heard of Blue Moon ice cream but it looks like something my grand babies would like.
Your little grandson is just precious. Putting so much thought as to which plant to give his mom is surely an early sign that he is going to grow into a wonderful loving and kind man.

The chicken looked really good too.
You must be a wonderful cook.
Have a happy week.

Iris

Knitty said...

Oh, what a charmer that sweet boy must be!

Knitty said...

What a charmer that sweet boy must be! Love the blue wagon and always have enjoyed blue moon ice cream!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary~That sweet boy is just precious! I did have 2 of those same sweeties about 13+ years ago.
While the blue ice-cream doesn't appeal to me, I know there are many others who would LOVE it!!
Great post!
Happy Blue Monday!
Hugs,
Lynn♥

Terry said...

Howdy
Happy Blue Monday to you .
What a charming young man you have there :)
He certainly is a man who knows his own mind ,how delightful he must be to spend time with.
I have never heard of blue moon ice cream ,so thank you for the recipe .
I can't wait to try it out .
We love ice cream .
Raspberries yummy !!!!
Blessings of joy to you and yours.
Thank you for another fabulous post today.
Happy Trails

Unknown said...

You are not gonna believe this!!!

Mi Amor and I just spent a week in Saugatuck, Michigan and were given a sample taste of Blue Moon ice cream. It sort of tasted like it had a little almond in it...pretty tasty!

Coloradolady said...

the ice cream looks amazing, what amazing colors of blue you have today.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Kim, I believe it. The ice cream is very popular in that region.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

What a cute little fella! The blue wagons are so nice! That colour just pops. Happy Blue Monday!

LADY JANE said...

Yum Yum! And what a sweet little fella to top it all off! I love your story of the perfect gift for Mom! Ain't life sweet! And...lol...every time I leave your blog...I'm hungry! Can't wait to come back and try some of your goodies!

bj said...

Ummm...that blue ice cream is sweet...but that little fella with his helment and flowers is SWEETER..
Loved this post...

Shirl said...

Hello, Happy Blue Monday! Beautiful blue post, thank you for sharing! Looks yummy! Have a great week.
Bless you, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

Katy ~ said...

My heart melted faster than that ice cream when that sweet little boy compared his treasure to his mom. Oh my gosh, what an absolute darling!

Blue Moon ice cream, unique. I would like to try this.

Becky K. said...

This was a lovely blue post! What a sweet little man. Those blue wagons make me want to buy much at that nursery.

Blue ice cream? It is pretty but I like my ice cream green and minty. Maybe if I just tried it...

Have a great day!

Becky K.
Hopitality Lane

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

What a precious little guy. I just love little boys at that age.

I'm a southerner and have never heard of Blue Moon ice cream either, but the ingredients sound perfectly fine!

Megan Leigh said...

Thank you so much for posting this, I used to have this every Saturday when I lived in Wisconsin. Now that I live in Kansas they don't offer it here of course, and I can't wait to taste the Amazing taste of Blue Moon Ice Cream

Ryan said...

Great photo of the blue moon ice cream!

Makes me wish it was summer in Wisconsin right now...

TheresaSea said...

Blue Moon is both mine and my husband's favorite ice cream flavor! I'm so excited to have stumbled across this in your archives! YUMMO!

La said...

Hi Mary!

I've never heard of Blue Moon Ice Cream. This would be a fantastic addition to the ice cream social I am hosting this week. I need to try this!

Have a wonderful week! La

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly