Friday, April 1, 2011

Mango Mousse



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...When you entertain people who know and love food, there are different paths that can be taken to the table. Familiar dishes, flawlessly prepared, work well, but so do more trendy dishes that expand the palates of those you've invited to eat with you. I took the path of least resistance last evening and chose a menu of simple dishes that represent Spring in various countries around the world. There was Scandinavian salmon, Turkish lamb, Italian risotto and a French asparagus salad. Fortunately, the dishes blended nicely and it all turned out well. It was a night of good food, good company and good wine. I wanted to end the meal on a light, bright note and decided to serve a mango mousse with meringue cookies for dessert. When properly prepared, this is a wonderful, slightly tart dessert. Its success or failure depends of the quality of the mangoes used to make it. They must be fully ripe and bursting with flavor. I can tell you from bitter experience, that those packs of peeled and sliced mangoes that are now available in the super market will not work here. I've never tried the mango puree that is available at Trader Joe's, but I suspect that this is a case where sweat equity pays off. I'm always asked to suggest a substitute for the orange liqueur used in the recipe. Unfortunately, there is none. Orange juice will ruin the mousse. It takes a while for this to stiffen, so it is best made early in the day you plan to serve it. If you want something more fancy, the mousse can be shaped in molds and served with a strawberry coulis. I do have one note of caution. Mango can be stringy even when pureed. To have an absolutely smooth puree, I put mine through a sieve before proceeding with the recipe. This is not an overtly sweet dessert, but it is delicious and I marvel at its color every time I see it. If you're in the market for something a little different, I think you'll like this mousse. If you like desserts with a little tang, you'll love it. Here's the recipe.

Mango Mousse...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1/4 cup orange liqueur
1 to 2 teaspoons lime juice
1 package unflavored gelatin
2-1/2 pounds large ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted, chopped
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1 cup chilled whipping cream

Directions:

1) Pour liqueur into small bowl; sprinkle gelatin over. Let gelatin soften 10 minutes. Puree mangoes in processor. Measure puree and return 2-1/2 cups to work bowl of processor (reserve remainder for garnish). Add sugar to mango puree in processor and blend well. Set bowl of gelatin in saucepan of simmering water. Stir until gelatin dissolves. Add gelatin mixture and lime juice to mango in processor and blend. Whip cream in large bowl until soft peaks form. Fold in mango mixture. Transfer to 6 dessert dishes. Yield: 6 servings.

You might also enjoy these recipes:
Mango Berry Crisp - Within the Kitchen
Mango Cheesecake with Lemon Basil Syrup - Step By Step Gourmet
Mango Rice Pudding - Pham Fatale
Fresh Mango Curd - SwEEts
Chunky Mango Ice Cream - Home Cooking Rocks
Mango Pudding (Gluten Free Dairy Free) - The Sensitive Pantry
Mango Merinque Tart with Coconut Cream - She Shimmers
Creamy Mango Gelato - My Man's Belly
Mango and Strawberry Muffins - Kirsten's Kitchen
Peach and Mango Trifle - Adora's Box
Mango Lassi - Entertaining Made Easy
Mango Mousse - My Favorite Recipes Collection
Mango Panna Cotta - My Kitchen and Photographs
Mango Bread - Kitchen Runway
Mango Upside Down Cake with Macadamia Nuts - Sippity Sup

79 comments :

Mickey said...

We love mangos here at my house. This looks like summer in a glass, looks so good.
mickey

Eileen said...

Sounds and looks delicious!

Just a Girl said...

Oh I cannot WAIT to try making this! I love mangoes, and mango mousse sounds amazing. I love your blog, and I love that you enjoy cooking so much! I am currently in a stage of my life where I don't have much time to cook really good food (I work full time and come home exhausted), so my husband and I eat a lot of meat-loaf, casserole, breakfast foods and other simple things for dinner. I desperately hope that one day I too will enjoy cooking to the degree that you do!

Thanks for sharing all of your yummy recipes! :)

Lifewithspices said...

love mangoes n this one is awesome n perfect!!!

nisha said...

Love mangoes and perfect dessert for Mango season .

Meg Johnston said...

Oh my gosh, that looks amazing! I love mangoes and this sounds perfect!

Anonymous said...

This looks so amazing! Yum!

Marg said...

This sounds and looks delicious, unfortunately mango season has just finished here so I'll have to wait until the end of the year to try it.

Ana Rita Marreiros said...

Hummm...I would love it for sure Mary!!!!
I make one with passion fruit that is a sucess....

Kisses,
Rita

Su m said...

I just love mango and this mousse seems just perfect for my pregnant desires :D

Anonymous said...

thank you for the recommendations about the mangoes! Have a blessed weekend :)

Sushma Mallya said...

Looks delicious and lovely recipe as well:)

Linda Starr said...

Mangos are one of my favorites and I love mouse and I happen to have orange liqueur

Sabores com História said...

I've never tried to do with mango mas I will for sure, I love mango but never thought in a mousse with it. Thanks for share

Priya Suresh said...

Give me a spoon,will finish that wonderful looking mousse..

Clint said...

Wow again! How creative. Thank you.

muppy said...

i love mangoes and this sounds like a great end to a big meal.

Suman Singh said...

Mango mousse looks so yummy and delicious..great recipe..thanks for sharing!

Tanna said...

Mary, your entire menu for that evening sounds divine. Your guests were most fortunate to be at your table. The Mango Mousse sounds perfect to end the meal!

My favorite dessert at the moment is from a hole-in-the-wall Thai place called Sweet Sticky Rice with Mango. Oh, my! A whole mango is sliced on the side of a generous serving of the most perfectly cooked jasmine rice with a sweet, sticky sauce (could be sweetened condensed milk straight out of the can for all I know, but it is to die for wonderful with the tastes and textures). Anyway, if you ever come across a recipe for that, I would love it. =) Blessings ~ Tanna

~~louise~~ said...

What a festive meal, Mary. French asparagus salad? Intriguing...

I'm not too fond of mango but I should reconsider, "summer in a glass," indeed!

Thanks for sharing & Happy April!!!

Helia Roberto said...

Mary, today you have one of my favorite mousses, I love ir, and your s loks delicious.

Have a great weekend

kisses

Helia

Haden News said...

I love mangos and this sounds like a perfect dessert!

PeggyR said...

That sounds wonderful!

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

Looks so light and so good! This would go over big in my house!

StephenC said...

If I had a moose, I'd name it Mango.

The Path Traveled said...

This sounds so good...I dont guess you would know the calories?

Unknown said...

I love mangos...and mousse; together...YUM!! Thanks for sharing, Mary!

From the Kitchen said...

It looks and sounds quite spectacular and I'm imagining its texture on my tongue. Ahh! For now I'll have to wait for my lagging energy to return as I seem to have only enough stamina to heat up soup. Soon!

Best,
Bonnie

mr. pineapple man said...

ooh mango! I got some at the market yesterday! maybe I should try this~

Katerina said...

I love the texture of all mousse. It is so airy and lets you with a feeling of unfulfillment!So you want to try and try and try some more. i am sure you mousse tasted exactly the same!

Khadija El Mary said...

My family loves mangoes, can' wait to try this! Have a great day Mary,

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Anything with mangoes will be superb....Tempting mousse

Unknown said...

I love the sieve! Good advice! Your Mango Mousse looks like the parfect end to the perfect evening!

June said...

Loved your menu and as for the Mousse - uh yum! Love the flavor of mangos and they're on sale here this week. I'm going to put some on my list!

kitchen flavours said...

Wow! This looks delightful! And the rest of your menu sounds delicious! Would be lovely to be your dinner guest! :)

We Are Not Martha said...

I really might have to make this... I've been obsessed with mango lately and this looks delicious :)

Sues

Margarida said...

I love mango mousse, and yours is so cool and that looks so delicious, so greedy that if I could eat one of her bowls.

Kisses

lindalou said...

Oh that sounds just lovely and it's beautiful too.

Sue said...

Looks so refreshing!

Beloved Green said...

Just toss in a straw and I feel like I am at the local ice cream shop. Looks lovely!

David said...

Mary, This sounds really nice and fresh. Great warm weather dessert! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Unknown said...

Mary, this recipe is done for me, I'm sure. Love it. Have a nice weekend.

Marina said...

I never ate mango :) I should try it, definitely!

Joanne said...

Alright so I officially want to go to a dinner party at YOUR place. Everything you made sounds delicious! I adore mangoes and as soon as they go on sale again, this mousse is going to be made!

Wendy Irene said...

I love ending a great meal on a light dessert, so you don’t walk away feeling weighed down! This looks beautiful and perfect for spring. Using great ingredients really does make all the difference, especially when it comes to fruit. Sometimes I jump the gun with fruits that are not in season and it doesn’t always work out well. Happy April! :)

That Girl said...

Your table sounds like epcot!

Harika baratam said...

Cannot wait any more to have it.

teresa said...

just beautiful. mangoes are one of my favorite fruits, i bet this is fantastic!

nanny said...

Mangos.....delicious!
Beautiful Photo!

FOODESSA said...

Taking into consideration a lighter sweet preparation after a hefty meal was very thoughtful of you Mary ;o) I would have scooped that mango mousse in the time you mentioned all your ethnic delicacies. LOL

Flavourful wishes,
Claudia

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

Mary I can't wait to give this mousse a try! It looks wonderfully creamy and light and would be the perfect ending to a summer meal! I hope you have a wonderful weekend :o)

pigpigscorner said...

What a great way to end the meal Mary! I want some now!

Ana Powell said...

It sounds like you had a great time and a very successful dinner party.
A truly delicious pudding.
Have a great weekend ♥

Kim said...

This mousse is perfect after a meal. Looks pretty fresh to me:)

Ginny Hartzler said...

It looks so refreshing and sweet!! I have never seen a recipie like this one!

Mateja ^_^ said...

It has been quite a while since I stopped by and I missed some wonderful perfect bites! Your mango mousse just scerams: Oh, wrm summer where are you? Thank you for sharing and have a blessed weekend :)

Catherine said...

Oh my Mary! This looks so delish! Sounds wonderful. I love mango's to begin with...I love anything mango. Blessings, Catherine

Banana Wonder said...

I was mango binging in Mexico and now having withdrawals since I've been back. This mousse is killing me (in a good way)...

Cooking Creation said...

How refreshing! It sounds like the perfect end to a perfect dinner :) This is getting me so excited for spring!

Only Fish Recipes said...

wow...mango mousse...this is absolutely one of my favorites !this looks so perfect !

Eliana said...

So simple yet so delicious. I love it.

Renee Paj said...

Just bought two beautiful Peruvian mangos at the store yesterday...this would be perfect. I spent the last mangos I bought making these:

http://mykitchenadventures1.blogspot.com/2011/03/pineapple-coconut-mango-muffins.html

have a lovely weekend, Mary!

Simply Life said...

what a fun flavor for mousse!

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Mango is my favourite fruit and this looks extremely soothing!

Duncan In Kuantan

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Having grown up in Asia, I love mangos. My mom use to make mango pie. The not as ripe mango tasted like apple pie and the ripe mango tasted like peach pie. It was a great far away from home treat.

Thanks for all your hard and fun work, Mary, to bring us such lovely recipes and thoughts.

Fondly,
Glenda

Candy (Dulce) said...

What a great idea! Thanks for the recipe. I have a case of fresh, perfectly ripe organic mangos screaming for a couple of different treatments. I love mangos... this looks terrific!

Maria @ Scandi Foodie said...

Gorgeous mousse, I really love mangoes so this sounds so perfect!

Elaine said...

It sound like you had a lovely evening and this sounds like the perfect dessert. Mangoes are my husband's favorite dessert and he eats as many as he can when they are available, so I know he would love this, Mary.

Gloria Baker said...

I love mangoes dessert Mary, look delicious!! gloria

Alessandra said...

Mango... my favourite :-), but you know that!

ciao
A.

scrambledhenfruit said...

This looks like a lovely end to a delicious meal. It looks cool, creamy and delicious! :)

Ryan said...

That sounds like a delightful meal! I'm sure your guests had a wonderful time. This mousse looks delicious and I love all of the mango recipes you have on your blog! So perfect for spring.

Kristen said...

That mango mousse looks lovely! Mousse is so great because it's a crowd pleaser and so easy! I like this recipe. I'm waiting for the mangos to be in season here to try it!

Katarina said...

Looks really delicious. Mango is so good!

Lucie said...

I'm in a mango "phase" and this sounds just perfect, Mary!

Nancy said...

Mango is a favorite! I love the idea of mango mousse and yours looks just perfect. (TY for the link love!)

Swathi said...

Mango is my favorite I am looking for mango mousse recipe, finely got this thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

sound yummy but how much is "one package of gelatine "? in weight or measurement please?

Mary Bergfeld said...

Chris, 1 packet or envelope of unflavored gelatin weighs 1/4 ounces.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly