Saturday, August 6, 2011

Parmesan Baked Fish Fillets + Tartar Sauce



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is another simple recipe that is perfect for teaching children or other novice cooks their way around the kitchen. It uses a handful of common ingredients and a simple cooking technique to make a meal that can be table ready in 30 minutes. The baked fillets can be served as a dinner entree or placed on buns and spread with tartar sauce to make a really nice fish sandwich. Will this version ever replace its batter-fried coastal cousin? Probably not, but it is a quick and healthy alternative that is also easy to make. We were in a coastal community today and freshly caught Pacific cod was available at our favorite dock-side shanty. I couldn't resist the temptation and came home with a healthy stash of cod and crab for the larder. The cod fillets made wonderful sandwiches when prepared in this manner. While I used cod, any flat filleted fish works well in this recipe. I hope you'll try this. Here are the particulars.

Parmesan Baked Fish Fillets...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons salt
2 pounds thawed fresh or frozen fish fillets
3/4 cup fine dry Italian-style seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
melted butter

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 525 degrees F. Grease a baking dish large enough to hold fish fillets in a single layer.
2) Combine milk and salt in a shallow bowl large enough for dipping fish fillets. Combine bread crumbs, paprika, and Parmesan cheese in another bowl.
3) Dip fish fillets into milk mixture then into crumb mixture. Firmly press crumb mixture into fish fillets. Arrange in the prepared baking dish. Drizzle melted butter over fillets. Bake on top shelf of oven for about 12 minutes, or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Yield: 6 servings.


Tartar Sauce...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon grated onion
1 tablespoon chopped capers
1-1/2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
dash ground cayenne pepper

Directions:
Combine all ingredients; stir until well blended. Chill thoroughly.
Serves 6 to 8.







One Year Ago Today: Lavender Cheesecake Bars














Two Years Ago Today: Roasted Pepper and White Bean Spread







You might also enjoy these recipes:
Oven Baked Fish with Caesar Topping - My Gourmet Connection
Baked Catfish - Never Enough Thyme
Greek Orange Roughy - Gonna Want Seconds
Fish Piccata - Angie's Recipes
Spicy Baked Fish with Chips and Creole Ketchup - My Gourmet Connection

40 comments :

Diane said...

Mmmmm I love tartare sauce and this would be great with your fish recipe. Have a great weekend and take care. Diane

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

What time is dinner this is for me~!! lovely dish..

Clint said...

Beautiful, simple, delicious, and good for ya!

Kim said...

I really like crusted fish, it's so yummy!

Maris (in Good Taste) said...

I love everything about this recipe!

Jihane @ Sinful Sundays said...

Simple fish dish. Looks delicious! I need to try that tartar sauce. :)

Anonymous said...

Oooh, definitely going to make your tartar sauce! Sounds delicious!

Ruth said...

This looks really good! I have used a similar recipe for coating chicken in a parmesan crust but funnily enough I never thought to do it with fish. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

do you think one could use the breading with chicken instead of fish? This looks great for me as I love fish but the rest of my family could do chicken....YUM

Katie said...

Ooh! I'm always looking for slightly healthier fish recipes, and this dish with baked fish seems just perfect. I love tartar sauce, too! I could eat it every day!

June said...

Yum - this looks delicious Mary and your tartar sauce looks wonderful too.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

That fresh-caught Pacific cod must taste wonderful in this tasty preparation!

kitchen flavours said...

Looks so good! We love cod but they are extremely expensive over here! And the tartar sauce looks good too! Perfect with the fish! Thanks for sharing, have a lovely Sunday!

lena said...

hi mary, love this. can this 3 times a day!!

Mini Baker said...

oh my! that tartar sauce looks so delicious right now! (its 8 am)
haha,
mini baker

A Canadian Foodie said...

Found your tweet on Twitter! You should go into Twitter and import your fork "one bite" icon as your avatar photo so that people will know it is really you!
The recipe looks so delicious -but expected nothing less. Do you have a recipe for sweet pickle relish? I hate buying processed foods and love tartar sauce and your recipe and sauce look divine!
)
Valerie

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Mary
How are you? Here after a long time! I like this dish and I will get all the ingredients here in India. So will try it. I like the tarter sauce also.
Have a nice week ahead

Beloved Green said...

Once again I am jealous of the fresh fish in your area. I cannot wait to move to the coast.

Valérie said...

Indeed, baked breaded fish was one of the first things I learned to make when living on my own. I've always wanted to make my own tartar sauce, thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend!

Gloria said...

Looks delicious and so much better than frying! I will have to remember this, I always do the fry thing, which has so many calories. Thanks for the recipe!
Best,
Gloria

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

There is nothing nicer than buying a fresh piece of fish from the docks. With that crunchy crust and tartare sauce, it must have been really good.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Looks wonderful! Has to be much better than the breaded cod filets we had yesterday at the hospital cafeteria! I am going to copy it.

Joanne said...

I love it when typically bad-for-you dishes are remade in a healthy way. This looks great!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Mary, looks wonderful. I have my nieces and nephew coming next week so I am making plans on what to cook with them. I think this sounds right up our alley for a lunch (on a sandwich of course)

Dave

Anonymous said...

This is a perfect post! I will make this over and over and my girls will be grateful to you!
Thanks
Mary

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I was just given a gift of some fresh fish . . . how is that for a sweet hostess gift. And this recipe suits us well. Thanks.

Fondly,
Glenda

Monet said...

Oh this looks delicious. I love the baked fish idea...especially with that tartar sauce. Thank you so much for sharing this with me!

pam said...

I used to make something like this a long time ago, so glad to be reminded of it!

My Little Space said...

Sorry that have been missing for awhile, it's Sunday here and this parmesan baked fish sounds absolutely terrific for the day. And it's best to go along with tartar sauce.
Happy Friendship Day to you, Mary! Hope you're having a fabulous day.
Blessings, Kristy

The Harried Cook said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous piece of fish! I wish I could have that right now... My tummy is rumbling!

Jamie said...

Really, quick and healthy is just perfect for us! And if it includes parmesan and breading then it is definitely one I will try. I don't fry and I rarely do fish because I don't feel comfortable cooking it, but this seems the perfect recipe for me. And I love the homemade tartar sauce recipe! I've been looking for one! Oh husband will love this!

David said...

Mary, So simple and yet so appealing and tasty. I've never been a tartar sauce fan though... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

carolyn bradford said...

I think I just decided on what I'm making for dinner tonight!!! This looks incredible! Thanks for sharing!
Carolyn

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I am baking up some cod myself for lunch for our next challenge. Yours looks classic and delicious!

Cooking Creation said...

This is my husband's favorite way to have fish :) Yours looks so tasty! Love the tarter sauce!

Unknown said...

Ahhh.. you know me and my love for fish :) I make something very similar to this.. it's delicious!

Rita said...

Love the way you prepared this; must taste heavenly; anything with Parmesan get me excited.
Rita

Jackie said...

Hi Mary

What did you use to grease your baking dish. Also, you mentioned baking the fish on the top shelf, is that the shelf above the center shelf.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Jackie, I used butter to grease the baking pan, although a nonstick spray could also be used. I consider the upper third of the oven to be the portion above the middle rack. Have a great day.Blessings...Mary

Patsyk said...

I've coated chicken with a similar mixture, but haven't tried it with fish. Will have to give a try soon, as I know both of my boys will devour it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly