Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fast, Fresh and Figure Friendly Summer Vegetable Crepes




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Before I get to today's recipe I wanted to note the passing of Nora Ephron, a wise, witty and intelligent woman who was the creative force that brought the movie Julie and Julia to life. Nora was a champion of women, and rather than search for words to honor her, I thought I'd use some of her own words to capture the sense of who she was. She will be missed.

Speaking at a commencement exercise: "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady," Ephron told Wellesley's Class of 1996 in a commencement speech. "I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women."

When asked about mortality: "You do get to a certain point in life where you have to realistically, I think, understand that the days are getting shorter, and you can't put things off thinking you'll get to them someday. If you really want to do them, you better do them. There are simply too many people getting sick, and sooner or later you will too. So I'm very much a believer in knowing what it is that you love doing so you can do a great deal of it."

Today's recipe is for an unusual crêpe that uses summer vegetables and herbs. They are served cold, and are very easy to prepare, especially if you use the "ready-to-use" crêpes that can be found in the grocery store. They are also figure friendly and manage to cut calories without sacrificing flavor. The recipe was first published in Eating Well magazine and you can find nutritional information for them here. I think those of you who try these will really be pleased. Here's the recipe.

Vegetable Crepes...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Eating Well Magazine

Ingredients:

Sauce
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup chopped fresh chives, divided, plus more for garnish
3 tablespoons low-fat milk
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
Filling
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups chopped zucchini
1-1/4 cups chopped green beans
1 cup fresh corn kernels, (from 1 large ear)
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 9-inch “ready-to-use” crêpes

Directions:

1) To make sauce: Stir sour cream, 1/4 cup chives, milk, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl until combined. Set aside.
2) To make filling: Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, green beans and corn and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low; stir in ricotta, Monterey Jack, remaining 1/4 cup chives, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook, stirring gently, until cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
3) To make crepes: Place one crêpe on a piece of parchment or wax paper (or leave it on piece of plastic separating crêpes in package). Spoon one-fourth of vegetable-cheese mixture (about 3/4 cup) down center of crêpe. Use the paper (or plastic) to help you gently roll crêpe around filling. Place crêpe seam-side down on a dinner plate. Repeat with remaining crêpes and filling. Serve each crêpe topped with 2 tablespoons of the reserved sauce and more chives, if desired. Yield: 4 servings.

Cook's Note: Ready-to-use” crèpes are fast and convenient. Look for them in the produce section of the market or near refrigerated tortillas.







One Year Ago Today: Blueberry Cream Squares














Two Years Ago Today: Baba Ganoush














Three Years Ago Today: Blue Corn Muffins

28 comments :

Nash Nordin said...

Wow! This one looks really good! I'd like to try them.

ai-foodies

Pondside said...

I really like crepes, and haven't made them for quite some time. This looks like a nice, light lunch for a summer Sunday.

Lenia said...

I love this summery,veggie version of crepes!
Blessings,dear Mary!

Katarina said...

Lovely crepes!

Diane said...

Nora Ephron RIP.

Love the idea of this recipe though I find it easy enough to make my own crepes. Have a great day. Diane

Red Nomad OZ said...

This looks marvellous, and all the better for being accompanied by Nora Ephron.

Weird, though, that your 1, 2 and 3 year recipes would make a great menu if combined with this one!!

Lynn said...

The crepes sound great and I love the two quotes:@)

Kim said...

It's been a moment since I had savory crepes. I like the vegetables ones!

Tanna said...

Nora Ephron was one of a kind. A loss for all of us...

Fast, Fresh and Figure Friendly... perfectly summer!!

blessings ~ tanna

Priya Suresh said...

Fantastic and super tempting crepes.

Ellen B Cookery said...

Amen to a figure friendly recipe.

There's so much to accomplish in this life, yet so little time. Nora Ephron had some very wise words to say.

Unknown said...

I was very sad to hear of Nora's passing - such an amazing woman!

I'm not one to using want a crepe, but these look good.. and the catch post title makes me want it even more!!

SImple and Serene Living said...

Mary, Nora Ephron will really be missed. Her movies were filled with humor and a wonderful insight into women. Thanks for remembering her today. This recipe sounds wonderful for the heat that is roasting us now.
Hugs,
Laura

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I was so sad to hear Nora Ephron had passed. Great crepe recipe. This is perfect dinner for a hot summer day.

lindalou said...

Thank you for your Nora comments. I think she touched a lot of women's hearts and minds. I was so saddened to hear of her passing and it seems I'm not alone.

Tricia @ saving room for dessert said...

I've never made crepes but think I should try! I loved Nora's movies - she could reach right down in those spaces we didn't know we had.

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

I, too, am saddened by Nora Ephron's death; I am a great admirer. I think I'll re-read "Heartburn" in her honor.
And I love crepes and I lvoe to make them. I always think of the dishes I've made with crepes as rich (yes, it's the sauce) so I'm anxious to try this.

Banana Wonder said...

Mmmm these look so good! I love veggie crepes, one of my favorite things to order and not make because they seem too time consuming. Good call with the pre-made crepes. RIP Nora.

Gloria Baker said...

Look delicious Mary!!

A Paixão da Isa said...

humm crepes com legumes super gostei mt bravo bjs

Katie said...

Yum! What a fun idea. I bet the herbs make the dish extra special.

Lillith P. said...

Mmm. Crepes. Or as I like to call them, creepies. I bet I could veganize this.

Joanne said...

Figure friendly crepes?!?!? I didn't think it was possible. Delicious!

Blond Duck said...

Definitely good for bikini season!

David said...

Mary, This is my wife's kind of recipe...cool and light! I'm a carnivore myself, but these could be a nice side to my hunk of meat... Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Leah @ foodforthefresh said...

I like the sauce - nice and light, but still looks tasty! I also wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the "Versatile Blogger Award" because I love your content and versatility - http://foodforthefresh.blogspot.com/2012/06/versatile-blogger-award.html

tender b. said...

Yummy. I've been on a sweet crepes kick. Might be time to flip that switch.

Veronica Miller said...

I had not heard about Nora's passing! Thanks for sharing that. I read one of her books (I feel bad about my neck) and enjoyed it. Your crepes look and sound divine!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly