Sunday, October 14, 2012

Brown-Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I found the recipe for these cookies in the July issue of Food and Wine magazine. It was developed by Lori Baker and her huge cookies will please cookie monsters of any age. The cookies are made with browned butter and they need an overnight chill before they can be formed and baked. Chilling allows the dough to soak up any liquid that has been added to it and, in this case, it also prevents the butter from melting and pooling when the dough goes in a hot oven. Experts think that drier and firmer doughs produce cookies that have a better consistency. My experts, specifically the Silver Fox and our teenage neighbors, weren't terribly concerned with consistency when they gave these saucer sized cookie a big thumbs up. These cookies are cracker crisp and perfect for dunking in a glass of cold milk. If you prefer something softer and more chewy, you'll have to play with the baking time. I suspect these are good keepers, but they disappeared before I could test and speak with informed certainty about their shelf life. This is a nice cookie and I think those of you who try this recipe will be pleased. Here's how the cookies are made.

Brown-Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Lori Baker and Food and Wine magazine

Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

Directions:

1) In a medium saucepan, cook butter over moderate heat until it is browned and nutty-smelling, about 5 minutes. Transfer butter to a small bowl and let it cool to room temperature.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda.
3) In bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle, beat room temperature browned butter with granulated and light brown sugars at medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping down bowl halfway through, about 7 minutes. Beat in whole egg, egg yolk, milk and vanilla.
4) At low speed, beat in dry ingredients, scraping down bowl as needed. Mix in chopped chocolate. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
5) When ready to proceed, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop 1/4-cup mounds of cookie dough onto each baking sheet. There should be 6 cookies per sheet. Bake one sheet at a time for about 18 minutes, until cookies are just firm and golden brown on the bottom. Transfer sheet to a rack to cool. Repeat to bake the remaining cookies. Serve the cookies warm or at room temperature. Yield: 18 cookies.







One Year Ago Today: Asian-Style Pumpkin and Coconut Panna Cotta















Two Years Ago Today: Dolmas  -  Stuffed Grape Leaves with Cucumber and Yogurt Sauce













Three Years Ago Today: Oatmeal Cake


26 comments :

mia xara said...

Hi Mary,these cookies are sheer temptation!!So interesting that you HAVE to brown the butter for this recipe..I'll have to try them..Have a great weekend,:)

Dining Alone said...

Sometimes I want a good crisp cookie, especially with a hot cup of coffee! These look great.

scrambledhenfruit said...

There's always room for another chocolate chip cookie recipe! They're my grandson's favorite. :)

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Hi Mary,

You really know how to get me in the mood for food! Have a great Sunday!

Katarina said...

Your cookies look so yummy, I would love to have one :) You can never have too much of chocolate!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

The brown butter sounds pretty special Mary.

A Paixão da Isa said...

humm mas que bonitos que eles estao e de chocolate uiui adorei bjs bom domingo

What's Baking?? said...

Hi Mary. I always have a special spot for anything chocolate. Your cookies are heavenly..yum.

Ana Regalado said...

Mary , I've bookmarked this recipe ! Thanks for sharing this ! I usually chill my cookie dough at least an hour before baking it :D Two-thumbs up at those SAUCER-sized cookies ! I adore that size as well ! lol Oh ! What a fantastic and delicious cookies ! ;D

Diane said...

Anything that has chocolate in it has to be good :-) Have a good Sunday. Diane

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I am constantly amazed at the volume and delicious output from your kitchen! These cookies are filled with good stuff!

QembarDelites said...

Those cookies do look absolutely scrumptious!

Cranberry Morning said...

A couple of those on a Sunday evening with a cup of tea and 'All Creatures Great and Small' on DVD. Perfect. :-)

Thanks, Mary.

We Are Not Martha said...

I'm generally a fan of anything brown butter, so I'm pretty sure I would love these!

Sues

Joanne said...

Browned butter makes everything better! These look amazing!

Vicki Bensinger said...

I'm so curious now to test this recipe. I prefer a soft cookie but love ginger snaps for their crisp crunchy taste. These sound very interesting and although the recipe uses basic ingredients the directions change it up. Thanks for sharing this.

Catherine said...

Dear Mary, These sound wonderful and classic. blessings dear friend. Catherine xo

David said...

Mary, The brown-butter is a nice twist on chocolate chunk/chip cookie recipes! It's that little something extra... Thanks for the recipe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

hobby baker Kelly said...

Oh I dearly love browned butter. I'll definitely be giving these a try. Nana loves crunchy cookies too so I see a gift box in the future. Thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

Brown butter is a real treat in cookies!!!! And chocolate, oh chocolate... love it!!!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love cookies ... and these look perfect ... only I might want more than "one perfect bite."

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh these sound so good, I missed being able to comment although I could read my friends blogs so I started another blog, hope this one sticks

Daniela said...

Delicious cookies.Ciao Daniela.

Astra Libris said...

These look dreamy! I was just fancying some chocolate chip cookies too... :-)

Poornima Nair said...

My fav cookies and I love the flavor browned butter gives.

Cindy said...

Browned butter improves most everything. These look perfect.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly