Saturday, October 13, 2012

Stir-Fried Broccoli with Ginger and Garlic




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This Asian-inspired side dish is wonderful to serve with plain grilled meats or chicken. I've been known to make it as a main course for myself when the Silver Fox is not home for dinner. I love the color of stir-fried vegetables and the vibrant green of this crisp-tender broccoli was, I am sure, on the palettes of the Impressionists. If it wasn't, it should have been. This stir-fry is made with common pantry ingredients and it is very easy to prepare. You can have it on the table in 20 minutes or less, and it is a great way to use the bags of small florets that are found in the produce aisle of your grocery store. While the recipe is straightforward, it is important not to overcook the broccoli. Certain instructions are common to almost all Asian-style recipes. So here,  you will again be asked to heat the wok or frying pan before adding oil to it. This is done to prevent ingredients from sticking to the pan. You'll also be instructed to pour liquids around the sides of the pan rather than into its center. Liquids added around the periphery of the pan will not significantly change the temperature of the wok, while those dumped or poured into the center will cause rapid cooling and slow the cooking of the pan's contents. If you enjoy broccoli and are looking for new ways to prepare it, I hope you'll give this recipe a try.It was developed by Nancie McDermott and the recipes she creates are workable and delicious. Here's how this vegetable stir-fry is made.

Stir-Fried Broccoli with Ginger and Garlic...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Nancie McDermott

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon salt
12 ounces broccoli florets
3 tablespoons water or chicken stock
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil

Directions:
1) Heat a wok or a large, deep skillet over high heat. Add vegetable oil and swirl to coat pan.
2) Add ginger, garlic, and salt, and toss well. Add broccoli and toss until combined. Cook, tossing often, until the broccoli florets are vivid green and just starting to wilt, about 1 minutes.
3) Add water, pouring it in around the sides of the pan. Cook 2 to 3 minutes more, tossing now and then, until the broccoli is brilliant green and tender, but still pleasingly crisp. Add sesame oil, toss well, and then transfer to a serving plate. Serve hot or warm. Yield: 4 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Rhubarb Swirl Brunch Cake















Two Years Ago Today: Apple Cider Quatre Quarts Cake















Three Years Ago Today: Cranberry Dressing

19 comments :

Cranberry Morning said...

That looks delicious, Mary. Always fun to have another way to prepare broccoli. I love it! I only wish it didn't want to linger on my teeth. :-)

Alessandra said...

Lovely, I love broccoli, and stir fried veggies with ginger and garlic :-).

Ciao and have a great weekend Mary
Alessandra

fuat gencal said...

Hayırlı sabahlar, Ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık. Çok leziz görünüyor.

Saygılar

Katarina said...

Looks delicious and it has a lovely flavor of garlic and ginger!

kitchen flavours said...

Looks so fresh and delicious, broccoli is one of my vary favourite, like you, I could eat it as my main! Thanks for sharing!

Diane said...

We love broccoli but I have not been very successful in growing it, time to try again methinks! have a great day Diane

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Great color. It is always nice to have a simple side dish with a meal.

Vicki Bensinger said...

This is so simple yet I'm sure it's delicious. The color is so bright and beautiful. Great photo!

Catherine said...

Dear Mary, This is a delicious classic served as is or with rice. blessings dearest. Catherine xo

MomWhatsForDinner said...

This is my favorite way to make broccoli, but I add dijon mustard to it and it is soooo good!

David said...

Mary, I love stir fried broccoli...or steamed broccoli with butter and pepper...or broccoli and cheese sauce. Stir fried is about my favorite as the added spices 'pops' or adds an extra layer of flavor. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

My Unfinished Life said...

this is damn easy..i would like to make with water!!!

http://sushmita-smile.blogspot.com/

Sue/the view from great island said...

I've been roasting most of my veggies lately, so thanks for the reminder about stir-frying. This one sounds great, and I like the hints about cooking with woks, too.

Dining Alone said...

I have been trying to eat more cruciferous veggies lately and this is a great alternate to the ways I have been making them, thanks for sharing.

lindalou said...

I use a recipe very similar to this for a sauté broccoli with garlic and thyme. It can also be done the same way with green beans. I bet yours would be great with green beans too.

Have a great Saturday Mary.

France@beyondthepeel said...

Broccoli and sesame oil...perfection.

Joanne said...

I love a good broccoli side dish. This sounds great!

Judy@Savoring Today said...

Just don't think you can go wrong with ginger and garlic, but it is a great boost to broccoli like this. :)

Food Jaunts said...

Stir fried broccoli is my go-to side dish - thanks for showing a new twist!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly