Saturday, April 13, 2013

Chopped Lamb or Steak Sandwiches with Peppadews, Olives and Feta Cheese




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is a nice sandwich to serve for lunch or a light supper. It is Greek-inspired and packed with the fragrances and heady flavors of the Mediterranean. The meat used in this sandwich is chopped rather than ground and it provides some unexpected texture that helps make the sandwich more interesting. The filling comes together quickly once the meat is chopped, and while it can be served on any type of roll, I like to use pita pockets to help keep the filling in place. This is one of our favorite sandwiches and I think you will enjoy it too. Here is how it's made.


Chopped Lamb or Steak Sandwiches with Peppadews, Olives and Feta Cheese...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1 pound uncooked lamb or flatiron steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup chopped peppadew peppers
1 bunch scallions, sliced white and tender green (about 1/2 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup salt-cured or Kalamata olives, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
4 pita pockets or flatbread
2 cups baby arugula

Directions:
1) Place half of lamb or beef in bowl of a food processor. Pulse just until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and repeat process with remaining cubed meat. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
2) Heat oil in a heavy 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Add peppers, scallions and garlic and cook until fragrant and softened, about 2 minutes. Add meat and cook, stirring occasionally, until it loses most of its raw color, about 3 minutes. Stir in olives, oregano and vinegar and cook for 2 minutes longer. Stir in cheese until melted, about 1 minute more. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
3) Warm pita in microwave for 30 seconds. Split and line with arugula. Spoon filling into pockets and serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.







One Year Ago Today: Breslin Ricotta Pancakes with Orange Syrup














Two Years Ago Today: Blueberry Cream Scones















Three Years Ago Today: Spring Salmon  and Leek Chowder














Four Years Ago Today: "Real" Coffee Cake

13 comments :

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Well Mary, I love sandwiches, used to eat them every day at work, but none as great as this!

Keep Calm and A-Z
An A-Z of learning English
Round the world from A to Z

Life's a shoe said...

wow great recipe! are peppadews sort of like pimientos?

decocinasytacones said...

Why is meat and bread combo so good???, I love it....I´ve taken good note of this so rich sandwich.
Love from Spain
Marialuisa

Young Adventures... said...

Mary everything that comes out of your kitchen sounds delicious! These sandwiches sound so good, and I can't wait to try them. I'm going to pin this to my sandwich board. I was recently introduced to peppadews, but I am having a hard time finding them at our local grocery store. I may have to look at one of the fancy ones. I loved them.

Vicki Bensinger said...

Mary I love this sandwich. It sounds like the Greek version of a sloppy joe. Making it with lamb reduces the fat plus with the peppedews I know it gives it that extra zing. I am definitely making this soon. Great recipe!

Big Dude said...

Lots of my favorite flavors in that sandwich so I know I'd really enjoy it.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes said...

This looks like pretty much the best sandwich ever! I would definitely make it with the lamb..

A Paixão da Isa said...

mas que maravilha de sandes adorei e com queijo humm tudo esta com um aspceto mt bom bjs e feliz fim de semana

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is lovely! I have never herd of these peppers...

Gwen said...

A new way to enjoy lamb! Yeah!!!

David said...

Mary, I love lamb sandwiches...gyros are about my favorite but this sandwich looks great too. I'd never heard of Peppadew peppers...from South Africa...described as sweet with a mild heat. Very interesting. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Claudia said...

Wonderful flavors - with the meats, spices, peppadew, feta - that's my favorite thing about a good sandwich - the chance to taste all in one (perfect) bite.

http://platanosmangoes.com said...

Love lamb and this is really a neat sandwich...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly