Sunday, April 14, 2013

Donut Muffins



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...These are nice muffins to serve for a weekend breakfast or to tote to morning meetings. They're really easy to make and those of you who like cake-type donuts will enjoy them. The recipe comes from King Arthur Flour and the version that is featured in this post is their basic cinnamon-sugar-nutmeg combination. Simple changes, such as adding nuts, dried fruit or orange or lemon zest to the batter, will allow you to experiment with flavor combinations and come up with a version that is perfect for your family. The muffins take about 15 minutes to assemble, and another 20 minutes to bake, so this is a very doable recipe, even for sleepy heads. I think the muffins are best if eaten shortly after they are made, but they will keep for a day or two if they are stored in an airtight container. These muffins will neither make nor break your reputation as a cook, but they come together so easily that it's worthwhile to keep the recipe on hand. I hope you will try them. Here is how they are made.

Donut Muffins...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of King Arthur Flour

Ingredients:
Batter
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg, to taste
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-2/3 unbleached all-purpose Flour
1 cup milk
Topping
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease 12 standard muffin cups, or line them with paper liners that are also greased to insure they can be peeled off without damaging muffins.
2) Cream butter, vegetable oil and sugar together in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add eggs, beating to combine.
3) Stir in baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.
4) Stir flour into butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the flou, making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
5) Spoon batter evenly into prepared pan, filling the cups nearly full.
6) Bake muffins for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they're a pale golden brown and a cake tester inserted into center of muffins comes out clean.
7) Remove them from oven. Cool until they can be handled, about 5 minutes. While they cool, melt butter for topping. Mix cinnamon with sugar and set aside.
8) Use a pastry brush to paint top of each muffin with butter, then sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Serve warm, or cool on a rack and wrap airtight. Store for a day or so at room temperature. Yield: 12 muffins







One Year Ago Today: Moroccan Lamb Meatball Tagine














Two Years Ago Today: Starbuck's Coffee Cake
















Three Years Ago Today: Corn and Edamame Succotash















Four Years Ago Today: Golden Corn and Potato Mash

26 comments :

Rafeeda AR said...

these look so amazing... bookmarked!!!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have heard of these, and seen them on Pinterest. Wish you could buy them at the grocery store or bakeries.

flor do brownie said...

Delicious!

Anonymous said...

These look amazing! I have been wanting to make these!

Martha said...

These are good and everyone seems to like them. I made them once in the minis for a Chamber of Commerce coffee and dipped the whole muffin in the butter/cinnamon/sugar. They were like donut holes!

Katarina said...

I would have loved to have one for breakfast today! They look delicious!

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Mary,
These looks superb and would be great with a cup of warm spiced tea!
Thanks for sharing, have a great week!

Joanne said...

I've made these before and they truly are the perfect breakfast treat!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

They sound so tasty Mary. Who wouldn't want all the flavour of a doughnut in a muffin.

Unknown said...

It must be very delicious blessing simmy

Melinda said...

I'd like one right now please.
These look yummy.

M :)

Priya Suresh said...

Seriously cant take my eyes from ur irresistible click,super tempting muffins..

Southerncook said...

Mary,

I have made these before and loved them. This was a nice reminder that I should make them again.

Carolyn/A Southerner's Notebook

QembarDelites said...

I like the look of these muffins....or doughnuts? lol! No matter what, they looks delicious!

Foodiewife said...

I made and blogged this recipe years ago, as one of my first attempts at blogging. The photo is embarrassingly bad, but the recipe isn't. You certainly have done a far better job than I did, and now I need to make these again. Who doesn't love a freshly baked muffin with their morning coffee?

Anonymous said...

I found a recipe something like this on Pinterest, they are wonderful! I will give this recipe a try yours are always better! :)

Kim said...

These looks perfect for a doughnut craving!

David said...

Mary, What a great idea! Love fresh donuts...so why not in muffin form!! Now I'm ready for a couple of these with my coffee... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Debra Eliotseats said...

I have a version that uses one grated apple. It is delicious as I am sure these are! Mouth is watering....

Claudia said...

I do have a fear-of-frying so this just spoke to me. It has snowed every day in April (????) so this would be a morning treat to shake out our winter blues!

http://platanosmangoes.com said...

If I send you my address...will you send me a dozen...I love these...

Anonymous said...

Yum! These will be a hit with my gardening group. Thanks for sharing!

decocinasytacones said...

0H MARY!,when did I miss this recipe????...GOD...you´ve made my day, laffin...
They look really yummy!!
HAVE A GREAT DAY my friend
Love
Marialuisa

Cindy said...

This looks like the perfect muffin to make when the grand kids come to visit!
I'll try it soon.

Meredith Roark Childress said...

Is there any reason why this recipe couldn't be baked in doughnut pans? I've wanted a recipe for cake donuts and this might be it. Sounds delicious!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Meredith, because I'venever baked them in donut pans I can't say for sure that it would work, but logically I don't see why it wouldn't. Hugs and blessings...Mary

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly