Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Spring Pea Salad with Feta and Prosciutto


My Thought for the Day can be found, here. If you like it, please let us know with an official  thumbs up.

From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I spend the winter months collecting recipes for salads and side dishes that will make the simple grilled meals of summer more interesting. I have several new dishes I want to share with you, but tonight I'd like to focus on just one of them. It is for an unusual cold pea salad that is unlike anything I've ever tried before. It was well-received at the table tonight, so, I'll be serving it often during the summer months. While the recipe was written with fresh peas in mind, I've found that frozen peas work nearly as well. That makes this dish seasonless and now that I've found it, it will be appearing on my table throughout the year. The peas are strongly flavored,so they will work best when served with simply seasoned grilled chicken or steak. This salad is easy to make and it comes together quickly. The recipe, which comes from Real Simple, is easy to follow and self-explanatory. I hope you will give this unusual salad a try. You will not be disappointed. Here's how it is made.

Spring Pea Salad with Feta and Prosciutto...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Real Simple

Ingredients:
2 thin slices prosciutto (2 ounces)
kosher salt and black pepper
1-1/2 pounds fresh peas in the pod, shelled (about 2 cups), or 2 cups frozen peas
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 ounces Feta, crumbled (1⁄2 cup)
2 scallions, thinly sliced

Directions:

1) Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Place prosciutto in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until beginning to darken, about 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool (the prosciutto will crisp as it cools), then crumble.
2) Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add peas and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes (1 to 2 minutes if frozen). Drain and rinse under cold water to cool.
3) In a large bowl, toss peas with oil, Feta, scallions, prosciutto, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Yield: 4 servings.







One Year Ago Today:  Brown Butter and Bourbon Pound Cake















Two years Ago Today: Mint Julep Cake
















Three Years Ago Today: Strawberry Yogurt Pie


















Four Years Ago Today: Kaiser Rolls

20 comments :

Coleens Recipes said...

I've been thinking of pea salad all week, thanks for sharing your recipe.

Kim said...

this is a great side dish for a grilled meat! It looks really good and I always have frozen peas on hand!

decocinasytacones said...

My peas are full of flowers now, but I´ve bought some spring or tear ones (as we call them in here) to our farmers and they are pure caviar.
Love
Marialuisa

David said...

Mary, Great looking salad! I don't know why but we sort of forgot the concept of putting peas in our salads... They really do add flavor and texture. Thanks for the recipe! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Claudia said...

I do spring-pea salads all the time in the spring - love this with the feta. Love the idea that the season is here!

Angie's Recipes said...

A simple and delicious salad! I will have to use the frozen one.

Kat said...

That salad looks so good. Perfect for summer.

Unknown said...

I love frozen peas, the sweet, tiny ones! This sounds wonderful!!

Shella said...

Mary I a in love with your story. Since I reckon with it so much. After working for 13 years in Shipping, then joining college to learn Development Studies, then lecturing, I am now teaching in Nairobi Indian Cuisine. I love the passion for food, and I like it as an art, an enjoyment of life. Love this refreshing salad, n your peas look sooo beautifully green.

QembarDelites said...

A lovely dish....I would love to give this a try too~

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

This sounds like a wonderful salad to have with grilled meats. I'm like you...I think frozen peas will work just fine.

Dianne @ Sweet Journey Home said...

Mary, you always make everything sound delicious and worth trying! Thanks for sharing the wonderful recipes. I like seeing what was shared in the previous years also...some of which I have tried and enjoyed!

Big Dude said...

What a delicious sounding concoction. I think the only pea salad I've had was a craemy dish.

Rhodesia said...

That looks amazing, I have never tried a pea salad, I wonder why not! Have a good day. Diane

Chiara said...

a tasty salad, I love feta ! Have a good day, blessings....

Ginny Hartzler said...

I'm sure you remember my pea story as a child. But I would for sure eat peas if they were like this!!!

Amy said...

This salad sounds refreshing and lovely. I agree, it'll make a perfect side dish for any grilled meat. :)

grubarazzi said...

I wish I could make this and ship it to my mother. She would LOVE this. I'll do the next best thing. Send her this link :)

We Are Not Martha said...

Three of my very favorite foods!! Talk about a dream salad :)

Sues

Sugar et al said...

Love the colours...so vibrant and refreshing. I agree it will make a great side dish with any meal.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly