Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Garlic Green Beans


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...The farm stands in our area sell beets, corn and and green in 20 pound bags that are ready to be processed. I usually don't can these vegetables, but because I blanch and freeze them,  I'm always looking for new ways to prepare them. Most of the recipes I've found, involve preparations that are nearly as involved as the main courses they'll be served with. That's not what I'm looking for,  so I dismiss them out of hand. What I really want are simple recipes that can be prepared with a minimum of fuss and bother. I got lucky when I found this one. The garlic-flavored oil that coats these beans takes them to another level and makes them perfect to serve with plain grilled meats or poultry. The beans can be table-ready in about 20 minutes, and while their preparation is a two step procedure, you'll only need one pot to make them. I do hope you'll try this recipe. I think its simplicity will appeal to you. Here is how the beans are made.

Garlic String Beans...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Family Circle Magazine

Ingredients:

1 pound trimmed green beans
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves sliced garlic
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
1) Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook 4 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Drain.
2) Using same pot, heat olive oil over medium heat until it shimmers. Add sliced garlic and cook until fragrance is released, about 1 minute. Stir in green beans and toss to coat with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 4 servings.

If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      







One Year Ago Today: Chocolate Espresso Cake















Two Years Ago Today: Lidia's Rice and Pea Soup

















Three Years Ago Today: Corn Timbale

















Four Years Ago Today: Green Beans with Balsamic-Shallot Butter

17 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

This must have a very good flavor! They look bright and beautiful.

decocinasytacones said...

This is good very good!!, I love garlic and I love beans....combination couldn´t be better.
Love and have a great Tuesday..I have sort of University day today with my son.
Marialuisa

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Hi Mary, green beans are a really simple and handy vegetable dish we like to eat when we can

Duncan In Kuantan

Diane said...

Thanks for this one. I have noted this as I am going to have lots of beans any minute - I planted late!! Have a good week Diane

Angie's Recipes said...

So fresh and delicious!

Lynn said...

I've sauteed beans with garlic before-very good! I'll try your technique. Hard to believe that in the heart of harvest season fresh green beans are $4 a pound here! Think I'll plant a garden next year:@)

Kim said...

I will test this recipe tonight!

From the Kitchen said...

Green beans are so plentiful right now--from the market and from our neighbor's garden--that I'll be preparing some for the freezer. Your recipe sounds simple and delicious. That's a requirement on our table.

Best,
Bonnie

Unknown said...

Simple and delicious!! YUM!!

Nammi said...

I love the simplicity of the dish and the bright green of the beans.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Happy green bean season, Mary.

Fondly,
Glenda

Kath said...

That is SO my style, Mary! I put time and effort into the main dish and like to have simple side dishes. These beans look great. We were gifted some garden-fresh green beans and I think I'll try your garlicky approach.

David said...

Mary, I could eat a whole platter of these green beans! There is nothing like fresh cooked green beans...especially in olive oil and garlic. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Lori E said...

I can smell the garlic now. Mmmm. I love green beans and this is such a simple tasty way to serve them.
I tried twice to comment on this through Blog Lovin and the comment page won't come up. Good thing I knew where to find you!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

So delicious, I love the garlic flavour :D
A perfect side!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Joanne said...

I love this simple side dish preparation!

QembarDelites said...

This is my kind of vegetables:D love how simple it is to prepare it and yet turned out delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly