Friday, October 11, 2013

Frugal Foodie Friday - Baked Pizza Pasta


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is a great casserole to keep in mind for game day. It is one of those easy, economical and rib stickingly good meals that is loved by hungry men and teenagers around the world. The casserole, with its crisp edges and bubbling cheese,  resembles those pasta dishes that come from the ovens of neighborhood trattorias. There is no trick to making this basic beauty. Any tubular pasta can be used and while I think the zucchini adds a lovely crisp texture to the dish, any vegetable can be used in its place. Ground turkey or sausage can replace the ground beef and  if you are feeling really adventurous, swap provolone for the mozzarella called for in the recipe. The only constants in this recipe should be the use of fire roasted tomatoes. They add some heat  to the dish and  take it up a notch or two without adding fire to the belly. I do hope you'll give this recipe a try. This baked pasta is a perfect meal to serve on Frugal Foodie Friday. Here is how the casserole is made.


Baked Pizza Pasta...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Muir Glen Test Kitchen

Ingredients:
1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
1 cup chopped sweet onion
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 (14-1/2 ounce) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces tubular pasta, cooked and drained
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
cooking spray

Directions:

1) Heat oven to 375. Spray a 2 quart rectangular baking dish.
2) Cook beef, onion and garlic in a non-stick skillet set over medium heat, stirring frequently, until cooked. Add zucchini and cook 2 minutes longer.
3) Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling.
4) Add pasta and toss to combine. Spread in prepared dish. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered, about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.

If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      










One year Ago Today: Orange Spiced Cashews















Two Years Ago Today: Honey Muffins















Three Years Ago Today: Candied Walnuts















Four Years Ago Today: Pumpkin and Goat Cheese Lasagna

11 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

Yum!!!! I will be making this. I also just re=printed your honey muffins, I had forgotten abut them and will be making them soon.

Diane said...

I always love your Frugal Friday dishes, yet another one I have saved for a cold an rainy day. Mind you it looks a bit like that today! Have a great weekend. Diane

Lynn said...

Dinner sounds good! But I'm seeing Orange Spiced Cashews from last year and they sound really good too:@)

Kim said...

I know someone who would love this casserole!!!

Unknown said...

My two favorite things ... pizza and pasta... all in one dish!! I love it!!!

Lenia said...

This is such a delicious pasta dish!Well done!
Have a lovely weekend,dear!

Barbara said...

My mother made a similar casserole, Mary. Every time we had a pot luck at school or church, they always requested her dish. I made it for my kids too. We used cheddar though. Like the idea of reduced fat mozzarella.
Have a wonderful weekend!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love your recipes dear friend, I'm your fan and this one is no less a yummy one! I hope you can drop by my post, I did something from you and of course, mention you too! Hugs,
FABBY

Gloria Baker said...

I love this look amazing like always Mary!!xo

Melinda said...

Oh, my goodness!
I'd love to have some
of that right now.

M : )

Velva said...

I love simple to prepare meals that are soulful and delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Velba

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly