Tuesday, August 11, 2015

An Easy Tomato Tart


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I've been testing recipes for tomato pies today. My contribution to a luncheon I'll be attending later in the week is the entree. I'll be making quiches in quantity. I have eight of them to make, and while my version of Quiche Lorraine will be the star, I wanted to offer an alternative as well. While I am now in my dotage, I have never had a tomato pie and I thought I could remedy that by including it in the offerings I'll be making for Thursday. I zeroed in on three recipes that I wanted to test. The tart I'm featuring tonight is the easiest of the trio to make and it is really tasty. If you look through the recipe, you'll see that it is beginner simple to prepare. I suspect you already have the ingredients needed to make it in your pantry and refrigerator. Tomatoes are flooding markets right now and this pie and the others I'll be featuring are a perfect way to use some of that bounty. Here is how the first of the trio is made.


Tomato Tart...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Simply Recipes

Ingredients:
1 9-inch ready to bake pie crust
1/2 cup chopped shallots
3 cups roughly chopped and drained tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups grated Colby jack cheese
1 to 2 tablespoons pesto
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon hot sauce
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Fit pie crust into a 9-inch tart pan with removable sides. Prebake tart shell for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
2) Place tomatoes in a colander. Salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes. To remove additional moisture put tomatoes in potato ricer and squeeze to extract moisture. Goal is to remove moisture not to puree, so don't get carried away.
3) Sprinkle chopped shallots on bottom of tart crust. Cover with chopped, drained tomatoes.
4) Combine cheese, mayonnaise, pesto and hot sauce. Spread cheese mixture over tomatoes and sprinkle with black pepper.
5) Bake until brown and bubble, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven to cool on a rack. Remove ring, cut and serve. Yield: 6 servings.

Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                     Older Posts



                 One Year Ago Today:                                                          Two Years Ago Today:
              That Old Black Magic Cake                                                Portioned Packable Brownies


                Three Years Ago Today:                                                    Four Years Ago Today:
            Warm Strawberry Crumb Cake                                                      Pear Sorbet

2 comments :

From the Kitchen said...

Dotage or not, that looks like a keeper recipe! I'm sure there'll be some happy folks at the luncheon.

Best,
Bonnie

We are not Martha said...

This is my idea of the perfect summer dish!

Sues

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly