Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Cottage Cooking - French Toast Casserole


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Here is another recipe that lends itself to cooking in barebone kitchens. No special ingredients or equipment are needed to make it, and it takes about 15 minutes to prepare. It can be baked as soon as it's assembled and it makes a nice, if sweet, way to start the day, especially if you are feeding a hungry horde. I must admit I'm not certain whom to credit for the recipe. I found it on a blog called Sweet and Simple Living, but I have since seen it on The Pioneer Woman site as well. I don't know who was first, so I'll credit both of them here. The Silver Fox and I prefer this casserole on the dry side, so I bake it for an hour and ten minutes. If you prefer your breakfast casseroles to pudding-like, I suggest checking it at the 50 minute mark to see if it is done to your liking. When we are at home, I use small stale Hawaiian rolls to make the casserole, but the recipe works with any type of stale bread. I must admit I have no luck with leftovers of this type, so I only make this when I'm feeding enough people to assure there will be no problem with leftovers. This is an easy way to make a breakfast special, and, if you have not already done so, I urge you to give this recipe a try. Here is how this very simple casserole is made.



French Toast Casserole...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Sweet and Simple Living

Ingredients:
1 loaf of day old bread
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided use
2 tablespoons vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick cold butter, cubed (1/2 cup)

Directions:

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
2) Tear up bread and place in prepared baking dish.
3) Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and pour over bread.
4) In a separate bowl mix together flour, brown sugar, remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon and salt. Cube cold butter and mix into brown sugar mixture using a fork or pastry cutter. Spread butter and brown sugar mixture over bread.
5) Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Yield: 8 servings.

Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                     Older Posts


             One Year Ago Today:                                                                  Two Years Ago Today:
         Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread                                                              Soft Ginger Crackles


                 Three Years Ago Today:                                                     Four Years Ago Today: 
         Orange Scented Buttermilk Cake                                              Pork and Fennel Meatballs

2 comments :

David said...

Mary, Now this is my kind of breakfast! Add a little butter and syrup and forget the calories... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Kathy Walker said...

This would be wonderful for breakfast! I can hardly wait to try it! Pinning...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly