Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Chicken and Shiitake Lo Mein


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I ran out of time tonight and had to rethink what I was going to make for dinner. My pantry usually contains all the ingredients I need to make a quick Mexican or Chinese meal, and I opted for Chinese this evening because I wanted to try a lo mein recipe I had found on BuzzFeed. While I had to use re-hydrated shiitakes and substituted thighs for chicken breasts I was able to make this meal in a bit less than 30 minutes. The next time I prepare this version of lo mein, and there will be a next time, I plan to use pork tenderloin or tofu in place of the chicken that is recommended in the recipe below. I think you'll like this dish. It's quick and delicious and reasonable to prepare. It makes a great week night family meal and I suspect you won't have leftovers to deal with. Here is how the lo mein is made.


Chicken and Shiitake Mushroom Lo Mein...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of BuzzFeed

Ingredients:
4 servings of egg noodles cooked according to package directions
Sauce
3 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
1/4 cup of chicken broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Stir-Fry
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 medium onion, sliced
1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup of carrots, sliced
1/2 cup of snow or sugar snap peas, halved
1 pound of chicken breast or pork tenderloin, sliced
Chopped scallions for garnish

Directions:
1) Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl, stirring to mix.
2) Heat oil in a wok set over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic cloves, stirring until fragrant. Add chicken, cook until no longer pink (3 to 4 minutes). Add onions, mushrooms, carrots and sugar snap peas. Stir fry until vegetables are tender.
3) Add cooked egg noodles. Toss in sauce and cook for another three minutes. Garnish with scallions. Yield: 3 to 4 servings.

Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                     Older Posts


             One Year Ago Today:                                                                 Two Years Ago Today:
   Slow Cooker Beef and Hominy Stew                                               Game Day Dips and Spreads


                 Three Years Ago Today:                                                     Four Years Ago Today: 
           Jalapeno and Bacon Cheese Dip                                      Grilled Chicken with Tamarind Glaze

4 comments :

Diane said...

Mmmm that sounds just delicious. Have a good day Diane

Big Dude said...

I wish I could make my food look as good as you have with this dish.

We Are Not Martha said...

Homemade lo mein is the best and this one looks seriously delicious!

Sues

Anonymous said...

I love shii take.Lucky very easy to find here. I have inoculated few tree trunks with shiitake mycelium, but have to wait at least a year to get my own. Also grew Oysters on coffee grinds.That was great success and little effort plus free ingredient as most coffee shops throw coffee grind out.


Your dish looks very inviting.Cheers

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly