Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Slow Cooker Curried Chicken Thighs


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I'm a big fan of the recipes that are featured in Family Circle magazine. I saw this recipe for Indian-Spiced Chicken Thighs in their June issue, and I knew I had to give it a try. The recipe looks lengthy because of the number of spices that are used in its preparation, but once they are assembled the recipe is a no-brainer and the slow cooker does the work. I hope you'll give this dish a try, if for no other reason than its aroma, which is close to perfume. If you love the fragrance of curries you won't be able to resist this dish. I followed the recipe exactly as it was written, but altered the cooking time, as I generally do with slow cooker recipes. I cooked my chicken on High for one hour and then reduced the heat and cooked it on Low for another two. I think most slow cooker recipes result in overcooked meat and I try to avoid that. I know that not all of you agree with me, so I've left the Family Circle directions intact. Do give this chicken a try at some point this summer. Here is how it's made.



Slow Cooker Curried Chicken Thighs
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Family Circle magazine

Ingredients:

2 small onions, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
8 cloves garlic, minced
12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 lbs. total)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons curry powder
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can (14-oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 container (6-oz.) plain yogurt
3 cups hot cooked basmati rice
Snipped fresh mint (optional)
Finely shredded lemon peel (optional)
3 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds (optional)
3 tablespoons golden raisins (optional)

Directions:

1) Place onions in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with tapioca and garlic. Top with chicken. Sprinkle with next 8 ingredients. Pour broth over chicken mixture. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
2) Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Cover and keep warm. Whisk yogurt into onion mixture in slow cooker. Spoon sauce over chicken and serve with basmati rice. Sprinkle with optional ingredients if desired. Yield: 6 servings.


Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                   Older Posts


                 One Year Ago Today:                                                  Two Years Ago Today:
               Ocean White Fish Stew                                                  Sweet Barbecue Sauce


            Three Years Ago Today:                                                      Four Years Ago Today:
                  Sticky Chicken                                                                        Sloppy Joes

1 comment :

David said...

Mary, Perfect meal. My wife loves thighs and curry too! Serving it over rice is definitely the way I'd like it. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly