Monday, August 6, 2012

Crispy No-Bake Corn Flake Peanut Butter and Chocolate Bars




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...If your cookie monsters like rice krispies treats, I suspect they'll really enjoy these simple no-bake cookie bars. Corn flakes add texture and audible crunch to this confection that is made with a near-perfect pairing of peanut butter and chocolate. I found the recipe on Serious Eats and it was developed by Yvonne Ruperti, who blogs at Shophousecook. This treat, actually more like a confection than a cookie, is almost effortless to make, and the batch quickly disappeared from my kitchen, where anything made with the peanut butter and chocolate combo never has a chance to stale. Kids will love these, and those over ten can actually make them for themselves -  if you can stand the mess they are sure to make as they assemble and eat them. Kids of all ages love these, so, if you are young at heart, I hope you'll give this recipe a try. Here's how the cookies are made.

Crispy No-Bake Corn Flake Peanut Butter and Chocolate Bars ...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Yvonne Ruperti and Serious Eats: Recipes

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup light brown sugar
Pinch salt
4 cups corn flakes, lightly crushed
1/3 cup salted peanuts, chopped, divided use
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

Directions:
1) Line a 8 x 8-inch baking pan with foil. In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add peanut butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, and salt and continue to cook, stirring, until melted and smooth.
2) Stir in corn flakes, 1/4 cup peanuts, and vanilla until just combined. Spoon into prepared pan and smooth top.
3) In heatproof bowl over pan of barely simmering water (or in microwave), heat chocolate until just melted. Spread over top. Sprinkle with remaining chopped peanuts. Chill until firm, about 2 hours. Remove from pan and cut into 2-inch squares. Yield: 16 squares.







One Year Ago Today: Crispy Oven-Baked Parmesan Fish Fillets  with Homemade Tartar Sauce














Two Years Ago Today: Lavender Cheesecake Squares















Three Years Ago Today: Roasted Red Pepper and White Bean Spread


26 comments :

Katarina said...

Oh, I like these already :)

Banana Wonder said...

MMmm mmm I love everything about these bars.

Unknown said...

I have the feeling these would disappear like hot cakes at my house! What a great treat for these hot days!

Pondside said...

I took a peanut butter and chocolate concoction to a pot luck at work on Friday. A co-worker, now retired, had always made it and there was great concern that we'd have to do without this sweet. I'll give this one a try for the next pot luck.

Caroline said...

Yummyy....
Thanks for this beautiful recipe.
I am going to try this soon!!:)

pam said...

I'm all about "no bake"!

Salsa Verde said...

Hi Mary,
Fantastic recipe and I have to give it a go, because my son is beside me and already annoying me to go to the kitchen...
heers,
Lia.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry, but I would take the whole pan and not share them with anyone!!! YUM!!

Ana Regalado said...

Fantastic combo , peanut butter and chocolate ! Kids and adults alike will surely adore these !

From the Kitchen said...

I'd say this tasty concoction could be considered a healthy treat by a slight stretch of the culinary imagination!

Best,
Bonnie

Kim said...

This is a kid's recipe. My mom use to prepare something like this when I was a kid... later, my brother and I prepared it all by ourselves! Like this kind of simple preparation!

Jeanne said...

Thank you for your lovely visit and kind words always.
I love your blog and your recipes.
Blessings my friend.
Love Jeanne♥

Cheah said...

Mmmm.... looks yummy. I can enjoy this with a cup of plain hot tea!

Tricia @ saving room for dessert said...

You are so right Mary - peanut butter and chocolate are "made for each other" and if you add cereal you can call it breakfast! Just kidding - these look yummy :)

nanny said...

yum, I can just hear the crunch and taste the peanut butter........

I love rice krispie treats and know I will love these.....
Thank You for the recipe

teresa said...

i love this! i'm always looking for fun treats to make for my kids. great recipe!

Alicia Foodycat said...

They sound lovely! Do you think they would work with rice crispies instead of cornflakes (I'd rather eat leftover rice crispies as cereal!)

Ellen B Cookery said...

These bars sound delicious and definitely a recipe that will be repeated in my home. I think I'm going to have some very happy girls in the house after they try these!

Joanne said...

I love the idea of essentially making rice krispies treats but with a different cereal! And peanut butter. :)

Ellen Whyte said...

No way. Just LOOKING at this is making me gain weight! LOL, lovely cake and pics.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yummy! I could eat, like, 5. :)

chow and chatter said...

these look great and would be fun to make with kids

Jeannie said...

These sure looks good, and no baking? That's even better!

Quay Po Cooks said...

I like this recipe already. No baking:D

tender b. said...

Great idea to put it on cornflakes.

http://platanosmangoes.com said...

I am a lousy baker...perfect treat!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly