Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Curried Apple and Parsnip Soup


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This simple soup makes a fabulous lunch or first course for a special dinner. I make it several times during the course of the winter because my family enjoys soups that are fortified with curry powder and I find they help ward off the damp chill that is so pervasive at this time of year. It is quick and nearly effortless to make, especially if you have a food processor and immersion blender. Don't be put off by the parsnips in the soup. They are a mildly flavored root vegetable and they blend beautifully with the companion apples and curry powder. So, the next time those North winds start to blow I hope you'll remember this lovely soup. Here is how it's made.




Curried Apple and Parsnip Soup...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Chef Michael Gonzales

Ingredients:
8 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound parsnips
1 pound apples
1 large onion
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 clove garlic
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
Salt and Pepper
Chives for garnish

Directions:
Rough chop parsnips, apples and onion. Using a medium sized sauce pot, heat oil and sauté vegetables until soft, approximately 10 minutes. Add curry powder, ground coriander and garlic. Sauté with vegetables for five minutes until coated. Add chicken stock and simmer for 30 minutes, until all vegetables are soft. Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender or a standard in blender until smooth. Add heavy cream and adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in warmed soup bowls, garnished with minced chives. Yield: 6 servings.

Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts



                One Year Ago Today:                                                    Two Years Ago Today:
                  Julia's Onion Soup                                                      Applesauce Spice Cakes



                Three Years Ago Today:                                                      Four Years Ago Today: 
                        Killer Nachos                                                               Lemon Poppy Seed Bread

6 comments :

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Apple and parsnip - sounds like a nice combination!

Diane said...

Thanks this may change my plans for dinner tonight. I was going to make Topinambour soup but it is raining so hard I don't want to go out and dig them up! I have both parsnips and apples in the house so.... Sounds good to me. Keep well Diane

Kim said...

I would have never tough of all these flavors together but it makes sense! Looks delicious!

David said...

Mary, This is certainly an interesting and different soup...one I've never heard of before! I like parsnips but I'm not sure I can convince my better half to try this one... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Very interesting soup. I have never had anything like this before. It has been so cold lately that every soup just calls my name.

Velva said...

This is a beautiful soup. I enjoy soups all year but especially when it is cold.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly