Monday, May 17, 2010

Marinated Portobello Burgers with Caramelized Onions and Roasted Garlic Aioli



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Did you ever wonder if folks who have a meat man or a fish man, also have a muffin man? I've always been slightly uncomfortable when people attach a possessive descriptor to the names of their purveyors. That makes it a bit awkward for me to talk about the person from whom I buy my mushrooms. Saturdays, rain or shine, he sells the treasures he's foraged in the wild or harvested from tunnels that he tends. This past weekend there were morels among the more common mushrooms on his table. Pure gold, and almost as expensive. Now, most mushroom hunters keep what they know to themselves. Not so this man. Save for divulging the actual coordinates of his territory, he will tell you everything he knows about foraging his favorite fungi. That's how I came to know where to look for morels in this area. Strange as it may seem, apple orchards, burned fields and the banks of streams that regularly flood are where you want to be. Using his advice I actually found one. One. Not quite enough to prepare a meal for Meatless Monday, but enough to spark a germ of recollection about a mushroom entree that would be perfect for the day. It's a burger. Strangely enough, the growers I know don't cultivate portobello mushrooms. They think they take up too much space in their limited operations. Getting back to the burgers, you'll find them very easy to make, though there may be some who object to the cost of the balsamic vinegar used to marinate the mushrooms. One thing that I want to point out is the importance of scraping away the gills of the mushrooms. If left in place, they will turn your burgers black and allow them to absorb too much vinegar. It's also important to use good, brioche-type, buns and fully ripe tomatoes. These burgers are particularly wonderful in August when ripened Brandywine tomatoes become available. Here's the recipe for a really great meatless "burger."

Marinated Portobello Burgers with Caramelized Onions and Roasted Garlic Aioli ...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, inspired by Cooking Light Magazine

Ingredients:
Marinade
1 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
.
6 portobello mushroom caps
.
Caramelized Onions
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-1/2 cups sliced onion
Aioli
1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
2 teaspoon bottled minced roasted garlic
Burgers
Cooking Spray
6 Brioche rolls or quality hamburger buns
6 curly leaf lettuce leaves
6 large (1/3-inch thick) slices tomato

Directions:
1) Combine vinegar, olive oil, basil, salt, pepper and garlic cloves in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add mushrooms. Marinate in refrigerator for 8 to 24 hours.
2) Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
3) Combine mayonnaise and roasted garlic in a small bowl.
4) Prepare grill or broiler. Remove mushrooms from bag, discarding marinade. Place mushroom caps on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook 5 minutes or until tender.
5) Lightly toast buns. Spread top and bottom of each bun with aioli. Place a lettuce leaf on bottom half of each bun, top with a tomato slice, a mushroom cap, 1 tablespoon caramelized onion and top half of bun. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.

You might also enjoy these recipes:
Baked Portobello Parmesan - One Perfect Bite
Mushroom Lasagna Florentine - One Perfect Bite
Wild Mushroom Ragu - One Perfect Bite

This recipe is being linked to Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory

58 comments :

Alessandra said...

I am a mushroom woman....I think! ;-)
I love mushrooms, I like mushroom hunting (although I am not very good), and I love a nice veggie mushroom burger!

Cheers Mary!

Diane said...

I love portobello mushrooms, in fact any mushroom if it comes to that! This looks good enough to eat to me! Diane

Paris Pastry said...

Oh dear, this is making me so hungry right now! I'm craving for a portobello marinted burger and it's only 10 am! Thanks for stopping by at my blog. I'm glad you left a comment, because now I'm introduced to your lustworthy blog!

Hiperica di Lady Boheme said...

Delicious recipe! Kisses

Allie and Pattie said...

Mary, how fortunate you are to have a "mushroom man"! My Nonna in Italy had one when I was a child- he also supplied truffles and I remember being fascinated by his stories. These are right up my alley as I frequently have portobello burgers while my husband enjoys his beef :)
xoxo pattie

Big Dude said...

Our granddaughter who is moving back to the states in July, cannot eat protein so we regularly fix her portabella's when we have a burger. This sounds like a good one to try for her.

Angie's Recipes said...

What an unique and delicious mushroom burger! I have never seen the portobello mushrooms that big!

MaryMoh said...

What a creative idea to use such a big mushroom for burger. It looks like a piece of meat burger! I would love to try. Thanks for sharing, Mary!

Sushma Mallya said...

So delicious & lovely looking burger..

Deana Sidney said...

I keep meaning to do a meatless monday... but I always have weekend leftovers! I think I need to give myself room and call it meatless mmm day and eat this burger...whatever day of the week!!

Martha said...

Another great recipe, as always . . . and morels grow well here on the prairie and, in our youth, we used to forage for them bring home enough for several meals. The locals, there, however, batter and deep fry them -- they are good but not as good as say, chicken and morels!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

That portobello is so meaty it could be a piece of beef. My husband is just beginning an adventure in the back yard growing mushrooms - keep your fingers crossed.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I would live to give this a try Mary. It makes snese that a meaty portobello mushroom would make a delicious burger.

Foley said...

Haven't eaten a Shroom burger but looking at yours I would definitely give it a try! Love mushrooms, but they have to be fresh - can't stand the rubbery ones in a can or jar!

Ana Powell said...

Well delicious, loved the combination of flavours ♥

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Good looking burger and I bet it taste good as well!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

This is a beautiful creation. Portobellos are so meaty and absorb the flavor of a marinade so well. Wish I could have one right now, because the caramelized onions are the perfect topping to such flavors!

From the Kitchen said...

Thank you, Mary, for the delicious taste of summer (but, oh spring will you ever arrive here?) that I shall tuck away for when tomatoes are at the farmers' markets. I also have a recipe for homemade buns tucked away as well.

Best,
Bonnie

Kim said...

How fun to go foraging and find a mushroom. The burger looks amazing.

Shellbelle said...

Oh Mary, what a wonderful variation for a Portobello burger, the balsamic marinade sounds delicious.

I'm so glad you mentioned to remove the gills, I left them for a number of years before I finally learned that trick.

Alexandra said...

Oh, come to mama~

Nothing like a grilled portobello muschroom burger with onion and garlic on a fresh, squishy bun with some steak tomatoes.

Nothing.

Pondside said...

One of my favorite restaurants has something very like this on the menu. I've never had the nerve to ask for the recipe - and here you are with one! I have everything but the mushroom - and that can be remedied this afternoon.

PranisKitchen said...

wow mary what a delicious burger..making me hungry..the picture itself saying how delicious this burger ..i like mushrooms.sure will try this recipe..bookmarking.. eye catching picture..

Biren said...

This looks like a delicious burger! It is great that you have a mushroom man(?).

Jeannie said...

That is a mushroom? Looks like a meat burger! Fantastic! wish I can get that mushroom here.

La Bella Cooks said...

Mary, you are speaking my language here with this gorgeous portobello and the caramelized onions. Amazing! The aioli sounds like it might be good on just about anything.
Thank you for posting this gem.

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

I had to take a double take on the burger, it looks almost "real". I love mushrooms and this burger looks so awesome I wish I had it in front of me right now. This is going on my menu for next week. Thank you for posting it :o)

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This is a wonderful and healthy alternative to too much meat. I love mushrooms. I have stuffed portobellos with vegetables and that was good. I can only imagine how much better this is.

Thanks for remembering My Meatless Mondays. I really appreciate it.

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

This is an awesome post. I will be using very soon!

Carmen

Arlette said...

what a delicious burger, Love the flavours , I am drilling and still early for lunch...

Maria said...

My favorite kind of burger!

Federica Simoni said...

splendida ricetta!! mi piace!! ciao e buona settimana!

Unknown said...

lovely and wonderful dish.....I am drooling over it..

Barbara said...

When I lived in Michigan, we had a secret place where morels grew...it was in an apple orchard and they were there year after year. I wonder if they still grow there? Morels are my favorite mushroom!

That is one fabulous burger!

The Diva on a Diet said...

Oh, Mary, that photo is so inviting! I wish I were having this burger for lunch right now! While that's not going to happen, you do remind me that I need to make some portobello burgers soon. I love them, but oddly enough I often forget about them. Thanks for the reminder!

Happy Monday!

DailyChef said...

omg this looks SO good. Way better tha what I normally order in restaurants/diners.

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Ciao mary,
questo burgers mi intriga molto come pasto serale estivo da cucinare in montagna.
Buona giornata :-)

xinex said...

Mmmmm....good! Perfect for a grill outside!...Christine

Joanne said...

A muffin man would be a really useful type of person to have around...think of all the delicious baked goods!

I love the sound of these burgers...especially with the caramelized onions!

Amy Ricks said...

I am so excited about this recipe, Mary! My sister is on a very strict diet which does not allow protein. She eats A LOT of vegetables and adores portobella mushrooms. She will love to hear about this burger!

~Amy (kitchencentsability.blogspot.com)

The Blonde Duck said...

Oh,burgers. And how I love thee.

Unknown said...

Portobellos con cebollas caramelizadas, delicioso!

Hugs
Charo

Cherine said...

What a beautiful mushroom burger!! mmm looks DELICIOUS!

Pam said...

Finding one morel is better than none!

This portobello burger looks absolutely amazing - I love the onions and aioli.

Anonymous said...

This is perfect for Meatless Monday! My daughter will love this. Her two favorite things are mushrooms and saute onions. Thanks for sharing. Denise@cottagesisters

Bella Rum said...

I'm a big fan of the mushroom. I never could convince my sister of their charm, however, my husband loves them. This sounds very tasty.

Thank you for your comment on my blog. This is my first visit here and you have a lovely place. I'll be back for sure.

Juliana said...

Oh Mary, have to admit that love meat, but this portobello burgers and all the nice stuff on it, I can easily take it without any problem...looks delicious...and great picture!

Nan said...

I can't wait to try this one for lunch!

Rachel Cotterill said...

Yes please! I love mushrooms :)

Chef E said...

I hear an Italian opera, beautiful music when I look at this post- My taste buds are singing for me to make this!

RamblingTart said...

What gorgeous little burgers, Mary! I'm smitten by the caramelized onions. They would make it divine! I hope you had a lovely weekend. :-)

tasteofbeirut said...

I would love to know someone who is a mushroom forager! I so far only know a shrimp purveyor. How exciting to find your own too!
Love that dish you concocted.

Rettabug said...

Delicious looking & sooo tempting, Mary! We love a good grilled burger!

I did not know that about removing the gills from the portobellos..thanks for the tip.

We've got our heirloom tomatoes started in the sunroom. I posted photos of them today. It won't be too long before we'll have luscious juicy red ones. :D

Claudia said...

And with all the apple orchards in Minnesota, you'd think i could find a morel! I do love that burger - love how you enhanced the portobellos.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love mushrooms--this looks wonderful--especially with the caramelized onion and garlic aioli--yum!

Magdalena said...

Those burgers look great; addition of caramelized onions makes them even tastier; we both like mushrooms, too, so maybe I will make them one day :) have a good day !

Kait said...

This looks and sounds delicious. I love the addition of caramelized onions and garlic aioli.

http://cookingwithkait.blogspot.com

Jamie said...

Yes indeed, I have my chicken man, our lettuce lady, I even have my leg lady (she does my massages) so bring on the mushroom man. These burgers are amazing and I so want to taste one. I've never seen portobello mushrooms here but I've always wanted to try them and this would be the way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly